The independence and integrity of the Judiciary should be preserved at all
costs. Every citizen is duty bound to ensure that the independence of the
Judiciary is not fiddled with. A lawyer, being an officer of the Court,  has
an even greater obligation to ensure this.

The Judiciary should always blossom with the fragrance and freshness of it
being  independent and unadulterated. Agents of the Government should not be
allowed to infiltrate into judicial positions.

The setting aside of the appointment of Mr Zoivonta Porobo as President of
the Goa Administrative Tribunal reasserts that the Government should not try
and treat the Judiciary as one of its own departments.

It was a painful task to file a writ petition against my own brother  in the
profession but any hesitation on my part would have been my failure to
comply with my responsibility to the noble legal profession.

Filing public interest litigations are no easy task. You have to be ready to
endure the backlash and tirade. This should never deter Citizens from using
the channel of Public Interest litigation to highlight issues of public
concern and expose the illegalities committed by those in Power.

There is a clear distinction between public and private litigation. Never
should an attempt be made to redress a private grievance or problem under
the guise of Public Interest Litigation.

I am often cautioned that by filing Public Interest litigations one  even
puts one's  life at risk. The only precaution one could take is to get one's
life insured. And this I have done, so  the crusade can go on.

Public Interest Litigation is here to stay.  We should never allow attempts
to frustrate and discourage citizens from seeking recourse to PILs for the
right causes. And we should be ready to pay the costs as a PIL like any
other litigation never comes cheap.

Aires Rodrigues
Ribandar