TitBits  002

And, for the last few days it has been difficult for me to spot a real topic
that I could vent my frustrations on.

And, I thought I had a kite, when I saw the headline news about the Goa
Police dancing to the beat of the  orchestra that was organized within the
premises of  the Porvorim police station after 10 p.m.

Naaah! Not that again. These things are bound to happen in a state like Goa.
Lots of laws, writ petitions and High Court orders. But  they are not worth
the paper they are written on. We might not be surprised if  late night
orchestras are organized within the premises of the High Court itself come
next Ganesh or Christmas time. And why not? They even have grand poojas in
hospitals with the poojaris matching their tonsils to the blaring of the
funnel speakers. And like once they had a grand New Year's dance at the Goa
Medical College with  the then  esteemed member of the British Parliament,
Mr. Keith Vaz as the Chief Guest. And,  if at all we are saying that the Goa
Medical College's main wing  is sporting some prominent cracks, attribute
these to the 40,000 or more watts sound system that was let loose in the
entrance hall  that NITE making our then a little younger hearts wanting to
spill out of our  chests. A fine way, indeed,  of collecting hearts for
heart transplant.

And, the netting of Abu Salem in Portugal looked like an even bigger kite.
But really speaking, I have a feeling that a lot of effort, bile and money
will be spent or wasted in trying to get Abu to Mumbai. And then one fine
day one harmless and innocent looking   havaldar on duty will quietly
unlatch the door of  the can  and  Abu will have bolted again. These  things
happen at the meer sight of a note of  Rs. 500, leave alone bigger ones. But
then the poor havaldar would be the sacrificial lamb. The real  roaring
lions in the 2Ps (police & politicians) will  have filled their den with
crores and Abu will be free again to milk the newest of the bollywood's
sensations and blast some other city to kingdom come.

And,  I think I have found a blimp in this item here, courtesy Goa Desc.

"According to Dr Dessai, 'Diksha Holdings' had deposited a sum of Rs 1 crore
with the CMC ( read Canacona Municipal Council) as licence fees at the
initial stage of the ongoing construction work. He however alleged that the
CMC had hardly utilised Rs 1,000 for anti-malarial measures".

What we are reading here is the Starred Hotel coming up in Canacona, which
is being accused of  breeding mosquitoes at its construction site. And Dr.
Dessai is representing  Diksha Holding which is the Starred Hotel.

As per  the building code, the builder is supposed to pay to the government
as follows:

1)      Conversion fees @ Rs.15/m2 to the collectorate. Initially, the
conversion fees was confined to the area to be converted only. Now, the
entire plot is to be converted whether you like it or not. Why?  How else to
fill the empty pot?

2)      Licence  fees to the Municipality or Panchayat on slab basis of
building estimate by PWD.

3)      Infrastructure tax to the Municipality/Panchayat based on  'x'
amount per square meter builtup area.

4)      House tax based on 'x' Rupees per square meter builtup area.

With all this revenue going to the government, the builder is provided with
"ZERO per cent   facility and 100 per cent harassment. Diksha Holdings is
right when they say that not even Rs. 1000/- out of Rs. 1 crore has been
spent by CMC  on malaria control.

And, when I say "Zero" per cent facility, I mean  the builder has to make
arrangements for water for construction as well as for drinking purposes for
the workers from  private sources, through tankers, at exorbitant price. The
water connection is given only after obtaining the Occupancy
certificate.(after completion)   The Builder gets electricity supply at Rs.
8 or 9 per unit., called 'commercial connection'. The builder has to make
his own arrangements to get labourers from neighboring states and house them
at the site. And these poor labourers get eaten up by the local goan
malaria laden mosquitoes that breed like hell in the local septic ( and
overhead water)  tanks of houses and buildings and even our esteemed health
centres and hospitals and clinics, that sport permanent open air- vents. And
the health department, instead of apologizing to the migrant workers,
penalize them for their own sins of omission.

Never have we seen anybody spraying any chemicals in the villages or the
cities like we see done in Mumbai by the Mumbai  Municipal corporation, or
in Goa for that matter in days gone by. Never have we seen  an inspection
carried out by the health department of the thousands of septic  tanks which
have become the factories of  breeding mosquitoes and malaria. Goa used to
have mosquitoes only during the monsoons. Today, we find mosquitoes  that
reign the households 365 days of the year and have become chronically brazen
and bold, just like our politicians, that they bite you in broad daylight.
Gone are the days when we village folks used to sit outside in the open
verandas and terraces to find relief from the summer heat and relax some. If
the fans stop spinning at high speed come summer or winter night, it is like
blood donation camp, right on your very own bed, when come morning, one
finds that one's bedsheet has gone through the fabric printing process of
Bombay Dyeing,  overnight.

And at the end of the day, when the builder is finished with building, he
has to run after the occupancy certificate. At this time, the PWD engineers
suddenly find their engineering skills in reading their tapes  in  meters ,
centimeters and at hard times even the  millimeters,  for this is what comes
in handy  to demand  hefty packets of notes in return for  their prized
signatures on the occupancy certificate.

But then, I shall certainly not want to generalize the above statement, for
there are also absolutely genuine persons in our government service  who
will do their job well and be done with it without the need for hefty
packets.

And, I do sympathize  with Diksha Holdings and  feel  that they too have the
right to point fingers at our esteemed government administration, specially
our esteemed health department headed by our esteemed health ministry, which
is being run, (as we have learnt from our esteemed editor of Herald Mr.
Rajan Narayan from his extreme stray thoughts of last Sunday) ,  not by  the
esteemed health minister but by  the over steamed  P.A. to the health
minister, who is  connected  to the esteemed Chief Minister with an
invisible laser beam.

And who ever said that we had a problem with mosquitoes and malaria in Goa?
However,  we must admit  that we do have a titbit of a problem with dacoits
in Goa who vanish in thin air in broad daylight,  just like the  mosquitoes
do. Now, now, are we, by any chance,   blaming  our esteemed police force
and their esteemed sniffer dogs, here?

And, just like Rajan Narayan, I had this wild  stray thought hitting me in
the head as I was concluding this piece.

"Could it be possible, just possible,  that the our esteemed Chief Minister,
Mr. Manohar Parrikar bab wants his Panjim Municipal Corporation,  so that he
can spray the malaria and the malaria bearing mosquitoes away,  just like
the Mumbai Municipal Corporation does?

Perhaps, only the Municipal Corporations have  this unique  power to do so.
One never knows!

Cheers
Floriano