Terrorists storm famous Hindu temple in Gujarat, kill 25  (THIRDLEAD)

By Pradeep Malik, Indo-Asian News Service

Gandhinagar, Sep 24 (IANS) Unidentified terrorists Tuesday evening stormed a
famous temple complex in the western Indian state of Gujarat, convulsed
recently by sectarian violence, and killed at least 25 people and injured
around 70.

Two or more terrorists came, armed with AK-47 assault rifles, to the
Swaminarayan temple complex in the capital in a car, shortly before 5 pm and
opened random fire in a terror attack that sparked fears around the country
of renewed violence.

Over 500 devotees and tourists were present in the 23-acre temple complex
when the attack occurred.

The gunmen first shot dead a woman official after scaling a fence and
exploded a bomb near the temple gate, following it up with indiscriminate
fire.

Most of the dead were men, but several women and children also died. Several
men managed to escape from the complex, some of them bleeding profusely.

Deputy Prime Minister L.K. Advani, who represents Gandhinagar in Parliament,
said in New Delhi earlier Tuesday evening that the dead included 12 men, six
women and four children.

"I see in the attack a deliberate design to create trouble," he told
reporters.

Advani, who was flying to Gujarat Tuesday night, was keeping Prime Minister
Atal Bihari Vajpayee, who is in the Maldives on an official visit, informed
about the terror attack, a spokesman for Vajpayee's office said.

The prime minister would return to New Delhi early Wednesday, cutting short
his visit to the Maldives by about 12 hours.

Vajpayee, in a statement from Male, appealed for calm and said "those who
resent the success of the Jammu and Kashmir elections are behind this," a
clear allusion to a Pakistani hand.

The attack came even as the second round of balloting ended in Jammu and
Kashmir for the state assembly elections.

The stunning incident sent shock waves across the country, and leaders of
Vajpayee's Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the main opposition Congress
party called upon the people of Gujarat to maintain calm.

So did Hindu and Muslim leaders across the country who feared the attack
could spark off fresh sectarian killings such as those that had left a deep
scar on Gujarat in February-May when at least 1,000 people died in communal
violence.

Elite commandos of the National Security Guard were rushed from New Delhi
and were expected to take on the terrorists believed to be inside the
temple.

No one has claimed responsibility for the attack, but officials believe it
could be the handiwork of groups in Pakistan that shares a common border
with Gujarat.

Minister of State for Home Affairs I.D. Swami said the commandos would not
allow the terrorists to escape at any cost.

One of the terrorists had reportedly got on to the roof of the complex and
was firing at the policemen outside, scattering them.

Some of the injured who managed to stagger out of the temple, bleeding
profusely, said the terrorists shot at several people including women as
well as children. Many collapsed on the floor writhing in pain after being
hit on the legs.

The magnificent temple, built in pink sandstone, is a very popular tourist
spot. It belongs to the Swaminarayan Hindu sect that has millions of
followers around the world.

The temple, which was visited by former U.S. president Bill Clinton last
year, has a seven-foot, gold-leafed idol of Lord Swaminarayan, the
18th-century founder of the sect.

A woman living near the temple said she could hear gunshots.

"We are in a state of terror. We can hear the gunshots. We just don't know
what is happening," said Kavita Anand, a government employee.

The Gujarat government has ordered all government doctors to report for work
and put hospitals on high alert.

"Everyone should remain calm," BJP spokesman Arun Jaitley said in a
television appeal.

--Indo-Asian News Service