What's On In Goa:
* Oct 11: Konkani translation of Satre book, Alliance Francaise
* Oct 12: Goa Orchestra performs at the Kala (Corelli, Bach)
* Oct 15: Magic in town... Illusion India magic show, Pnj then Vasco
* Mid-Oct: 2-day ornithologists workshop, Bondla southernbirdwing.com

No royal handshake, true, but Inuit boy garners moment
of fame
By JILL MAHONEY
The Globe and Mail, Canada
Tuesday, October 8, 2002 – Print Edition, Page A5

Markoosie Tiglik wanted to press palms with the Queen
because that's just what people do.

"When I asked him why did he want to shake her hand,
he says, 'Everybody shakes hands,' " his school
principal, Hillary da Silva, said. "It's quite common
here, actually. Even if we have gone out for a short
[trip] of only a few days, we greet everyone and shake
hands . . . It's a very tactile society."

With his grandmother Annie Tiglik, a respected Inuit
elder, elsewhere to participate in the welcoming
ceremonies for the royal couple in Iqaluit last
Friday, nine-year-old Markoosie secured a front-row
spot among the crowd at the Nunavut Legislature.

When the Queen walked toward him, he flashed a grin
and extended his hand, appearing to win her attention.
However, she moved on without shaking hands, leaving
him dejected, his smile transformed into a frown.

Both moments were captured by a Canadian Press
photographer and became The Globe and Mail's main
front-page pictures the next day.

Markoosie was, of course, unaware that royal etiquette
stipulates that you simply do not initiate a handshake
with the Queen.

Reached yesterday at Nanook School, Markoosie, whose
principal and teachers translated during a phone
interview because his English is limited, seemed to
have recovered from the royal rebuff.

"His reaction is he really wanted her to shake his
hand, but she didn't. But we are getting no feelings
from him at all.

"Obviously his face [at the time] may have said it
all," Mr. da Silva said from Apex, a settlement a
10-minute drive from Iqaluit.

Perhaps befitting his age and the strangeness of a
telephone interview, Markoosie, who like many Inuit
children is being raised by his grandmother, said "he
didn't feel sad, he felt good" when the Queen ignored
his outstretched hand, Mr. da Silva related with a
chuckle.

When passed the telephone to talk, Markoosie gave
one-word answers in a shy, accented voice. Did he like
getting close to the Queen? "Yeah." What did he think
of her? "I dunno." He quickly handed the receiver back
to his principal.

The fact that Markoosie, who is in Grade 3 and is
taught in Inuktitut and English, wormed his way to the
front of the crowd and bravely stuck his hand out to
the Queen, is of no surprise to Mr. da Silva.

"He's not bashful," said the principal, who immigrated
to Canada from Uganda 30 years ago. "He's quite
aggressive in terms of getting his own way . . . He's
a squirrelly little boy, but has a lot of guts and
determination.

"If he puts his mind to something, he can do it."