Goa's phone numbers change from Nov 10, 2002. Prefix old number with a 2. New numbers
will be seven-digit 2XXXXXX (where XXXXXX is the old number).

----- Original Message -----
From: Floriano Lobo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; Navhind Times <navhind @navhindtimes.com>;
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, November 10, 2002 8:53 PM
Subject: Towards Good Governance:

> To,
> The editor,
> via e-mail:
>
> Sir,
>
> The other day I happened  to visit the  office of the Additional Collector
> in Panjim. And as usual, I always take the stairs up from the main
portico.
> And as usual, I was expecting to find my way up through the parked two
> wheelers in the entrance and the stair-well clogged with old furniture etc
> which has been  a permanent fixture for years on end through the
governments
> of Shashikala, Dr.Willy D'Souza, Rane, Ravi, Luizinho Sardinha and finally
> Parrikar. And I have pointed this out many times in my writings. But this
> time a pleasant surprise was awaiting me. Not only the two wheelers were
not
> there, there  are many computer printed posters put up saying " PARKING OF
> TWO WHEELERS  PROHIBITED"  With a sign of relief, as I climbed the stairs,
> there was another surprise awaiting me. There are numerous beautiful
boards
> in red put up saying " SALES PERSONS ARE PROHIBITED" And the passages and
> offices of the collectorate are sparkling clean and  new tiled . Well
well,
> I said to myself. This is the "good governance" that I was waiting to see.
> And to think that I was particularly sore about the sales persons doing
> their brisk business in goverment departments. I do hope that all
government
> departments in Goa are spruced up like the Panjim Collectorate. I do
> understand that it takes time to see good things like these. And I for one
> am really really happy to know that someone somewhere is conscious of
these
> things.
>
> Thank you  Manohar Parrikar on this count.
> Hope you will look at  the Kadamba bus stand  in Mapusa that has become
the
> open stinking urinal cesspool, that too in close proximity of the Mapusa
> Market.
>
> It is said that the standard of living of the society is judged by the
> standard of its public places, especially its  market places.
> Goan have been always proud of their standards. Or were we really? Are we?
>
> Floriano Lobo
> Goa Su-Raj Party.

What's On In Goa (WOIG):
Nov 06 Children's book exhibn opens, Walkabout, Anjuna... (all weekdays)
Nov 06 ArtHouse, Calangute: Chaitali's acrylics on canvas till 19.11
Nov 07 Revision of electoral rolls (till Nov 30) See schedule.
Nov 07 Creative science, for children, Goa Sc Centre (till 16.11)
Nov 10 Corporate summit on IT and biotechnology, Intl Centre (till 11.11)
Nov 17 Goan Engineers and Assoc meet, at Pickering, Canada.
Nov 20 Fr Agnelo's 75th death anniversary, Pilar
Dec 01 Two day conference, Goa Agenda. IT For Society. (Ends 2.12)
Every Sunday: Music therapy sessions at Moira, 5 pm. 278, N.Portugal