Goa's phone numbers change from Nov 10, 2002. Prefix old number with a 2. New numbers
will be seven-digit 2XXXXXX (where XXXXXX is the old number).

George, with due respect, you're talking about a text-book scenario. Read
the report below... this happens in today's world. Specially when the wolf
is left to guard the chickens. Does Goa Suraj still believe that there's
place for the well-intentioned? Or, would more be achived if we had less
illusions on how the system works, with there being no intention in sight
of a cleanup? FN

> "None of the above" is a lazy person's response in a democracy.  There are barriers
>to running for
> political office in a democracy, but none are insurmountable.  If the candidates are
>not to one's
> liking, find others - or better yet run for office yourself.
>
> George
>
> > Have 'none of the above' on ballot paper: Shiv Khera
> >
> > >From Indo-Asian News Service
> >
> > New Delhi, Nov 9 (IANS) Arguing that a voter's right to reject was as
> > important as the right to elect, motivational speaker Shiv Khera has
> > demanded that ballot papers should have the "none of the above" option.

Arms dealer Suresh Nanda withdraws from Rajya Sabha race

By Sharat Pradhan, Indo-Asian News Service

Lucknow, Nov 9 (IANS) Delhi-based arms dealer Suresh Nanda, nominated by
Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) dissidents for a Rajya Sabha seat from Uttar
Pradesh, Saturday withdrew from the contest after he was roughed up here
while filing his papers.

Nanda was pushed around by legislators of different political parties within
the precincts of the state assembly, following which the visibly shaken
businessman announced that he was withdrawing from both the biennial poll
and the by-election to the Rajya Sabha to be held later this month.

With Nanda's appearance on the scene Thursday what had seemed to be smooth
sailing for official nominees of key political parties in the state had
turned into a contest.

Suresh Nanda is the son of former navy chief Admiral S.M. Nanda. Three years
ago, Suresh Nanda's son Sanjeev Nanda had hit the headlines when he
allegedly mowed down several pavement dwellers in New Delhi while driving
his BMW car in a drunken state.

According to eyewitnesses, Saturday's incidents took place inside the closed
hall where nomination papers were being scrutinised.

The trouble began when some Congress leaders confronted Nanda over various
objections they had previously raised against his nomination. What began as
a heated exchange between his supporters and some angry Congressmen
culminated in a free-for all in which BJP legislators also joined.

Former central minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, who is in the fray as a BJP
nominee, was alleged to have slapped Nanda.

While Nanda parried queries about the assault, he admitted "there was some
pushing around and much noise following which Pramod Tiwari (of the Congress
party) and (BJP minister) Lalji Tandon ushered me out of the hall to the
safety of the assembly secretary's chamber."

Asked why he had withdrawn from the poll, he said: "I am told there is some
FIR (police report) lodged against me, for which I am planning to meet the
chief minister."

Tiwari, Tandon and some others did not permit Nanda to speak to reporters on
his own. When mediapersons insisted that Nanda be allowed to answer their
queries, he was whisked away to the assembly secretary's chamber, where
journalists were disallowed.

Assembly secretary R.K. Pandey declined to comment on the incident.

Political analysts had said the entry of Nanda was bound to raise the stakes
in the polls. "With an affluent arms dealer in the fray, legislators are
bound to demand a higher price for their votes in this poll," said one
analyst.

Before Nanda appeared on the scene, there were 10 candidates for the 10
seats in the biennial poll. This would have ensured their unopposed
election.

His entry had raised apprehensions of large-scale cross-voting, largely on
account of the dissidence against the ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP)-BJP
coalition in the state.

Each candidate requires 37 votes to win the election in which only
legislators are entitled to vote.

Since the Samajwadi Party has the highest number of legislators (142) in the
403-member assembly, it could ensure the election of its four nominees.

Its requirement of six extra votes was understood to have been assured by
eight independent legislators, who were the first to revolt by formally
declaring their withdrawal of support to the government heade0d by Chief
Minister Mayawati.

The BSP, with its 99 members, was confident its three nominees would be
elected as it is banking on support from the Rashtriya Lok Dal's (RLD) 14
legislators. RLD chief Ajit Singh had already assured Mayawati of his
party's support.

With 12 of the party's 88 legislators having openly defied the party
leadership and one having been suspended for "anti-party activities", the
BJP is concentrating on committed voting by its remaining 76 members.

This would ensure a clear win for its two nominees -- former chief minister
Rajnath Singh and Naqvi, who is now the BJP spokesman.

The Congress party, with its tally reduced from 25 to 24 following the
expulsion of criminal-turned-politician Akhilesh Singh, is looking forward
to making inroads into surplus votes of other parties and independents.

The Congress leadership strategically decided to allow another term to its
sitting member Akhilesh Das. Salman Khurshid, its other contender, was
regarded a far better bet but got sidelined because he did not have the
required support, sources said.

--Indo-Asian News Service

What's On In Goa (WOIG):
Nov 06 Children's book exhibn opens, Walkabout, Anjuna... (all weekdays)
Nov 06 ArtHouse, Calangute: Chaitali's acrylics on canvas till 19.11
Nov 07 Revision of electoral rolls (till Nov 30) See schedule.
Nov 07 Creative science, for children, Goa Sc Centre (till 16.11)
Nov 10 Corporate summit on IT and biotechnology, Intl Centre (till 11.11)
Nov 17 Goan Engineers and Assoc meet, at Pickering, Canada.
Nov 20 Fr Agnelo's 75th death anniversary, Pilar
Dec 01 Two day conference, Goa Agenda. IT For Society. (Ends 2.12)
Every Sunday: Music therapy sessions at Moira, 5 pm. 278, N.Portugal