Documented by Goa Desc Documentation Service
& circulated by Goa Civic & Consumer Action Network
(GOA CAN)<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Ph:2252660
------------------------------
Freedom threatened
------------------------------
I have been well-known for my singing and my songs which have political
satire. Recently I was threatened with dire consequences if I had to sing
songs like Illegal ghoram and Gujratak faran marle

My latest tiatr Nirmonn Devachem was scheduled to start at 10.30 am
in Hanuman theatre, Mapusa. But at 10 am Inspector Govekar ordered me
to report to the police station.

At the police station Inspector Govekar told me to stop singing political songs.
Also he called DSP Allan D'sa on his mobile and asked me to talk to him.
Dy. S P Allan D'Sa too told me to not to sing political songs, to which
I told him that I have been singing political songs on the Konkani stage
for the last 30 years. But Allan D'Sa insisted that I should not sing
those songs and I gave in.

I want to know who ordered Dy SP Allan D'Sa to stop my singing.
My songs are based on the news published in the some of the local dailies
including the Herald which fight against injustice in the society.

Ours is a democratic country and everyone is free to express his or her views.
Can the concerned authority give an explanation as to why I was not allowed
to sing.

William de Curtorim,
Curtorim, Salcete
in RESPONSE
-------------------------
HERALD 18/12/02
-------------------------

=======================================
GOA DESC RESOURCE CENTRE
Documentation + Education + Solidarity
11 Liberty Apts., Feira Alta, Mapusa, Goa 403 507
Tel: 2252660 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
website: www.goadesc.org
Working On Issues Of Development & Democracy

Ongoing: Exhibition of paintings, Art Chamber, Calangute www.goa-art.com
Dec 14 onwards: Shireen Mody's Goa 2002 exhibition, Arpora. Tel 2276759
Dec 17, 18, 20: Indo-Portuguese furniture, lectures Fundacao Ph 2230728
Jan 18-19: International kite carnival at Morgim beach, Pernem