FOR MUCH OF the year, the guys out at GoaNet have been trying hard to be
of some use to you. Herman Carneiro's 1994 dream is growing, and reaching
out to more Goans across the world.

GoaNet is succeeding in building a virtual community that has undertaken
various innovative initiatives (kickstarting the Goa Schools Computers
Project, getting an Internet node for Goa early on, a campaign against
paedophilia, getting magazine subscriptions donated to a few schools in
Goa, above all giving a voice to Goans worldwide and in Goa amidst a
situation where newspapers have diminishing space and/or inclination to
discuss news and views that make a difference to our small region...).

Not just that, GoaNet has inspired a whole set of mailing-lists, who are
harnessing the power of this simple tool called e-mail to share ideas and
information, and do something positive for Goa. Some of the mailing-lists
influenced directly or indirectly by GoaNet/GoaNews/GoaNet-Digest include
Goa-Research-Net, GoaNet-BSG (horticulture issues), SaligaoNet, a whole
set of lists working out of www.indialists.org and even BytesForAll.

OKAY, WE NEED your help now... and we're not even asking for money!

In order to expand, we need you to send us a Christmas gift of at least
*ten* email addresses of Goans/people interested in Goa, who would like to
be part of either GoaNet/GoaNews/GoaNetDigest. Please send these addresses
to [EMAIL PROTECTED] In case any one on your list would not like to
be part of these networks, we will promptly unsubscribe him/her.

Numbers are important. As Dr Ashok Jhunjhunwala of IIT-Chennai argues,
the larger the size of a network, the more efficient it becomes and the
more affordable too. Help us to help you! --FN
--
Frederick Noronha * Freelance Journalist * Goa * India 832.2409490/2409783
BYTESFORALL www.bytesforall.org  * GNU-LINUX http://linuxinindia.pitas.com

"Grove giveth and Gates taketh away."
     - Bob Metcalfe (inventor of Ethernet) on the trend of hardware speedups
       not being able to keep up with software demands

Ongoing: Exhibition of paintings, Art Chamber, Calangute www.goa-art.com
Dec  19-22: Gauri Divan's studio pottery, Rust, Aguada Rd Ph 2479340
Dec 23-Jan 7: Dayanita Singh's photo exhibition, Art House Tel 2276123
Jan  18-19: International kite carnival at Morgim beach, Pernem