Hi Fred,

Could you kindly ask the indian government to account for the Foreign
Exchange taken from Goa for the past 40 decades? I as a Goan want to
know the working of the indian banks in Goa.

As Portugal returned the gold to Goans, so should the indian
government return the foreign exchange taken from Goa. Stop the
plunder!

Xac

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello Frederick,
>
> For the purpose of clarity I think we should make a clear
distinction here.  Goans are Goans and Indians are a totally
different breed.  With that in mind we should then look at the
daunting task at hand as to how are we going to arrive at a
definitive number of "REAL GOANS" that are out there in the world.

> The Indians simply forget about them.  They can manage or
mismanage  their own affairs, who cares.  Not after they have robbed
our beautiful land and turned it into a 'SPITTING PAAN LAND".

> Ivor(Samora).
>

> > From: Frederick Noronha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Date: 2002/12/27 Fri PM 11:50:05 EST
> > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Subject: [GOANET] NEWS: Goa still groping to find out size and
spread of its diaspora

> > Goa still groping to find out size and spread of its diaspora
> >
> > By Frederick Noronha
> >
> > PANAJI (Goa), Dec 28 -- Goans have been migrating overseas for
> > generations now, but India's smallest state still lacks
statistics on how
> > many people of Goan origin are scattered across the globe.
> >
> > "We don't even know how many non-resident (Goan) accounts are
existing in
> > Goa. Yet in one branch at Palolem in Canacona (a remote south Goan
> > beach-village in an area where migration has picked up in recent
decades)
> > there are as many as 4000 non-resident accounts," said NRI Goa
Facilitation
> > Centre chairman Chandrakant Keni.
> >
> > Keni, editor of the local Marathi newspaper 'Rashtramath', says
the NRI-Goa
> > F.C.  is looking at the policies of other Indian states to see
> > what would be a suitable model for Goa to adopt for its own
expats.

> > This facilitation centre was set up recently by Goa's BJP
government,
> > following requests by expat groups.
> >
> > Incidentally, the scattered Goan 'diaspora' has itself been
clueless of its
> > size or potential clout back home.
> >
> > Many among overseas Goan communities came a bit closer together
following
> > Internet-based voluntary initiatives starting in the mid-nineties
that
> > boosted global communication networking among expats from this
small region
> > which currently covers an area of 3700 sq.km and has 1.35 million
(rpt 1.35
> > million) residents.
> >
> > Goans have been migrating since the late nineteenth century in
large
> > numbers, with some even leaving local shores on the South Asian
west coast
> > since the seventeenth century.
> >
> > Early Portuguese colonialism, which set up base here in 1510,
meant
> > international connections were strong at an early point of
history.
> > Education, but a lack of job opportunities in a stagnant colony,
lead to
> > large-scale migration over the past couple of centuries.
> >
> > Some books also talk about skilled goldsmiths landing in Portugal
in the
> > seventeenth century, while other historians speculate that early
travellers
> > from Goa could have reached Africa in as early a period.
> >
> > Goans have found their migration mecca in places like East
Africa, Burma
> > (now Myanmar), Karachi, Portugal, South America, many major
Indian cities,
> > and more recently in UK, North America, Australia and New Zealand.
> >
> > "Ours is just a six-month-old initiative (at listing Goans),"
says Keni, as
> > the NRI-FC goes about trying to list Goans scattered across the
globe.

> > He admitted it was a difficult task, but others like Economic
Development
> > Corporation managing director A.V.Palekar suggest that it might
be easier to
> > reach out to the overseas diaspora via the many Goan
organisations globally.

> > Some of these organisations also represent villages and sports
club, which
> > have closely-knit loyalties and identities.
> >
> > For the fourth year in succession, Goa is hosting an Overseas Goan
> > Convention on December 29. A 'social security scheme' for NRI
Goans will be
> > unveiled. This is aimed mainly at Gulf-based Goans, whose needs
caused by
> > sometimes insecure job conditions are vastly different from those
of expats
> > based in North America or the UK.
> >
> > This is largely a group insurance scheme, underwhich expats, their
> > dependents and family, would be covered for accident and family
health, on
> > payment of a premium. It will be unveiled by Goa chief minister
Manohar
> > Parrikar.
> >
> > Goa's NRI-FC estimates that there are "anywhere between 70,000 to
100,000"
> > overseas people of Goan origin, though this could be an
underestimate with
> > reports suggesting there are around 10,000 Goans in the Canadian
city of
> > Toronto itself, and some believing that Lisbon is home to more
Goans than
> > even the state-capital of Panaji.
> >
> > Goa's officially-named committee has declined to take a stand on
the
> > much-debated proposal for permitting overseas Indians to
have 'dual
> > nationality'.
> >
> > "I don't think the states have anything to do with that
(proposal)," said
> > Keni. "Our area of work has already been well-defined." Keni
pointed to the
> > Person of Indian Origin (PIO) scheme which rebuilds local ties
while "it
> > does not give the expat political rights".
> >
> > From the issues on which the state government is making promises
to the
> > expats, it is also emerging that those overseas have concerns
over their
> > properties back home in a Goa which passed controversial
homestead tenancy
> > laws in the 1960s, that cut into the migrating middle-classes
while larger
> > landlords apparently managed to side-step the same. (ENDS)
> >

> > WANT TO check out which mailing lists you could subscribe to?
Send a blank email message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

==