By ROBERT MATAS
The Globe and Mail, Canada
VANCOUVER -- Iraqi soldier Najah Aboud always thought
an angel from heaven saved his life 20 years ago
during a decisive battle in the Iran-Iraq war.

Lying in a bunker under two dead bodies, soaked in
blood from shots to his head and arm, he prayed to
Allah.

An Iranian soldier -- actually a 14-year-old paramedic
who had run away from home to join the army in order
to escape his father -- answered those prayers, saving
the life of his sworn enemy and then disappearing from
his life.

Mr. Aboud never expected to see his saviour again,
especially not in Canada.

But Mr. Aboud, 50, met the Iranian soldier, 34-year
old Zahed Haftlang, recently in the lobby of a
Vancouver agency dedicated to helping victims of
torture.

Mr. Aboud, a prisoner of war in Iran for 17 years
after being captured in 1982, came to Canada 2½ years
ago. Mr. Haftlang, a prisoner of war in Iraq after
being captured in 1988, came to Canada in July, 2001.
Both men said they are in Canada as refugees and
waiting for their immigration papers.

The eight-year Iraq-Iran war began on Sept 22, 1980,
when Iraqi armed forces invaded western Iran in an
attempt to seize control of the oil-producing province
of Khuseztan.

Iraq had some success in the early months of the war,
until Tehran launched Operation Undeniable Victory in
March, 1982, forcing an Iraqi retreat. A turning point
in the war came in May, 1982, when Iranian forces
regained control of the area around the city of
Khorramshahr.

In Vancouver this fall, Mr. Aboud and Mr. Haftlang
initially exchanged pleasantries awkwardly in English.
Realizing they both spoke the same language, Mr.
Haftlang asked Mr. Aboud where he learned Persian.

Mr. Aboud told him about being injured on the Iranian
front at Khorramshahr and being taken to Iran as a
prisoner of war. Mr. Haftlang said he had been on the
same battlefield.

Mr. Aboud was reluctant to pursue the conversation,
the memories of war and torture too painful to recall.
To be polite, he made a few comments. To his
amazement, Mr. Haftlang filled in the blanks.

"I could not believe his words," Mr. Aboud said
yesterday, speaking in Persian. His comments during
the interview were translated by Vancouver resident
Mohammad Ghaem-Maghami.

"When he started telling me the rest of my story, I
was thinking, I just cannot believe this. He must know
the guy who helped me."

Mr. Haftlang told him more and suddenly Mr. Aboud
grabbed him.

"He just started hugging me and we started crying
together," Mr. Haftlang said, also in Persian.

"And now, I know his father and his little brother,
and he had a nice little party for me at his place,"
Mr. Haftlang added.

Mr. Aboud said he was in his mid-20s, working at a
Baghdad restaurant when the government ordered him
into the Iraqi armed forces. Six months later, he was
in a tank at the front.

He recalled Iran's massive attack at Khorramshahr on
May 24 and May 25, 1982. Placing his finger to his
lip, he said he had trouble talking about what he saw.
"I'm still shaking inside when I think about it," he
said.

The bombs fell for hours, he said, and corpses were
lying everywhere. When the bombing stopped, he ran
with his tank crew into a nearby bunker. Iranian
soldiers with a machine gun followed and gunned them
down.

Mr. Aboud said dead bodies fell on top of him. He was
hit in the head and arm. In pain, he prayed to Allah
to survive.

He recalled more soldiers came through the bunker.
Someone touched him and realized he was not dead. An
Iranian soldier dragged him to another bunker and left
him there.

The Iranian soldier returned later with another who
wanted to kill him. Mr. Aboud could not understand
what they were saying, but he saw the first soldier
take a hand grenade and, it seemed to him, threaten to
blow them all up. Then the two soldiers left and he
passed out.

A few days later, he woke up in a hospital. He was
convinced the soldier was an angel who had intervened
to save him.

Mr. Haftlang said he did not feel strongly about the
Iraqis when he ran away from home. He joined the army
because he wanted to fight, he said.

"I did not really think who they were. At first, I had
no feeling about them. Later, I started to hate them
after I saw some of my friends die," he said.

His job as a paramedic was to help injured Iranian
soldiers. Iraqis were to be killed. "There was no time
or facilities to care for the injured [Iraqis], so we
were supposed to just kill them," he said.

Mr. Haftlang said he heard Mr. Aboud moaning when he
stepped into the bunker. He saw a Koran in Mr. Aboud's
pocket with a picture of what he assumed was the Iraqi
soldier's wife and daughter.

The paramedic had joined the armed forces just two
months earlier. "I put the Koran back in his pocket,"
Mr. Haftlang said. "He was begging me not to kill him
and I felt sorry for him, so I decided to help."