In a message dated 01/04/2003 7:35:42 PM EST, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< I just completed this article for our local newspaper. Having two close
 relatives die from prostate cancer, which is common among Goan men, I
 thought this would be good message for my Goan kinsmen. With the common
 Goan attitude that nobody is going to stick his finger "you know where
 and check my prostate", the disease tends to "get us in the end". >>

Hello All:

Sound advice indeed, Doctor Lawrence, especially as a New Year Resolution :-)
There are some contrary views, though, on PSA tests.

Speaking of sticking the finger UP, so as to "get us in the end," I received
this humourous anecdote, on December 25, which is quite apropos:

<Just in case you were considering a new career. Things you should be aware of

First-year students at medical school were receiving their first anatomy
class with the body of a deceased man. They all gathered around the surgery
table where lay the cadaver, covered with a white sheet.

The professor started the class by telling them, "In medicine, it is
necessary to have two important qualities as a doctor. The first is that
you must not be disgusted by anything involving the human body." To prove
his point, the professor pulled back the sheet, stuck his finger in the
butt of the corpse, withdrew it, and stuck it in his mouth. "Go ahead and
do the same thing," he told his students.

The students freaked out, and after a few minutes of hesitation, took turns
sticking a finger in the butt of the dead body and sucking on it.

When everyone finished, the professor looked at them and told them, "The
second most important quality is observation. I stuck in my middle finger
and sucked on my index finger. Now learn to pay attention!" >

KEEP SMILING -- LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE, ATTENTION TO DETAIL NEXT :-)

Pat de Sousa
Maryland, USA