Documented by Goa Desc Documentation Service
& circulated by Goa Civic & Consumer Action Network
(GOA CAN)<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Ph:2252660
-----------------------
FORGIVE THEM
-----------------------

I hail from Moira, a predominantly Christian village.
Ours was the only Hindu home when we migrated from the
neighbouring Aldona during 'conversion' some 470 years ago
but we assimilated with the Christian milieu who respected us,
so much so, that my father even occupied the honorary position
of Escrivao da Confraria de Fabrica da Igreja.

Today the village has sizeable Hindu population which may eventually
outnumber the Christians, but we have had unique identity. From time
immemorial and going back to last 60 years I have had the pleasure
of witnessing the Serenades (locally then called Janeiros) and today's
sophisticated version "Carol singing groups", who used to invariably
come to my house during Christmas season and perform their plays
singing and dancing. They never missed it and this thrilled me always.

I am now upset and disappointed that since last year this Serenade
or Carol singing groups mostly affiliated to the local Cathechist
of the Church do not step into our home without any provocation
or cause, since I personally always looked forward to them.

I have a feeling that since the BJP has taken the reigns some fanatic
elements in the village wants to communalise even the serenades.
It is not only the Hindu community that has fanatics but also Christians
and this is a bad sign and not in the interest of peace and harmony
and against the Goan ethos and alien to the doctrine of universal
brotherhood.

Though I am not very sensitive to this action, whosoever may be
responsible to, but before I depart from this world I have to sound
a word of caution to my Cristao brethren that this attitude will have
far reaching consequences and even my soul will not be happy with it.

May God bless them abundantly and I pray that the New Year
dawns a better sense on all such elements. God forgive them
for they know not what they are doing!

A.S.Prabhu
Moira, Bardez.
in RESPONSE page 6 HERALD   4/1/2003

GOA DESC RESOURCE CENTRE
Documentation + Education + Solidarity
11 Liberty Apts., Feira Alta, Mapusa, Goa 403 507
Tel: 2252660 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      website: www.goadesc.org
Working On Issues Of Development & Democracy