REPEATING THE 'MISTAKE' OF VIETNAM

What the US and the West did in Vietnam and across the globe were
 not mistakes, but calculated actions of foreign policy which
 included misleading the North American and Western population. The
 same thing is happening now in Iraq. We are again being misguided
 by our most powerful and trusted leaders, our media and academics
 are again accepting or quietly acquiescing to the 'inevitability'
 that the US, Britain and to-be-named-allies will just have to
 attack Iraq.

By Grahame Russell
Third World Network Features

'Wouldn't have mattered very much,' said Henry Kissinger, US
 National Security Advisor and head of the State Department during
 the Nixon administration in the early 1970s, responding recently to
 the question 'What if the US had allowed Vietnam to go communist
 after World War II?' [Interview with Stephen Talbot, Toronto Star,
 8 December 2002, first published in salon.com]

In the 1960s, 70s and 80s, nothing mattered more to the US and the
 West. Across the planet, we supported atrocious regimes and
 political movements and overthrew governments and political
 movements, in the name of 'fighting communism'.

There were few speeches by Kissinger or other US leaders not based
 on defending why it was imperative that the US and the West 'fight
 communism' in every corner of the planet. Because this battle of
 Good versus Evil mattered so much, the US killed over 1,000,000
 Vietnamese. Most of the Western media and academics defended the US
 war effort. Most history books found today in North American
 schools defend and justify the West's fight against 'communism'.

And yet today, we are told by Kissinger that it 'wouldn't have
 mattered very much' if the US had 'allowed Vietnam to go
 communist'. Ho hum. Kissinger essentially admits, quite casually,
 that the war justifications of the 1960s and 70s were lies. Given
 his decision-making power at the time, one would think that
 Kissinger's admission should be used as proof of criminal behaviour
 leading up to and during the Vietnam War.

But the issue is much broader than the role and responsibility of
 one man. What do other Western governments, the Western media and
 academics - all long-time defenders of the American War in Vietnam
 -- think now? How do they see their role?

The killing and destruction of the war in Vietnam happened in part
 because of the overt support or quiet acquiescence of the majority
 of US and Western citizens. It was not until American soldiers
 'came home in body bags' that the media began to regularly present
 the strong voices of opposition. And even then, the media coverage
 was given to the opposition concerning the mounting American
 casualties - not to why the US and West had attacked Vietnam in the
 first place.

Kissinger, the foreign policy establishment, the media and academics
 played a fundamental role in orchestrating and assuring overt
 support or quiet acquiescence.

Why drag this up now? Ancient history? An ageing politician
 admitting a few 'mistakes' from the past? What the US and the West
 did in Vietnam and across the globe were not mistakes, but
 calculated actions of foreign policy. Misleading the North American
 and Western population was part of this.

And is this not happening right now in Iraq? Are we not again being
misguided by our most powerful
and trusted leaders? Are not our media and academics again accepting
 or quietly acquiescing to the 'inevitability' that the US, Britain
 and to-be-named-allies will just have to attack Iraq ... again? Is
 it not again hundreds of thousands, if not millions of children and
 elderly, men and women of another far-off nation that will be
 killed and destroyed ... again?

Now is the time to use our knowledge of the deceptions of the
 Vietnam War, to work harder to prevent today and tomorrow's killing
 and destruction in Iraq, to be carried out in our name. - Third
 World Network Features

                                                              -ends-

About the writer: Grahame Russell works with Rights Action.
www.rightsaction.org. [EMAIL PROTECTED]

When reproducing this feature, please credit Third World Network
 Features and (if applicable) the cooperating magazine or agency
 involved in the article, and give the byline. Please send us
 cuttings.

*****
Third World Network Features is a unique, reliable, independent
 features service, monitoring the world through Third World Eyes,
 rather than blindly reproducing the self-serving assertions of the
 Western media. The feature service is available by email. We have
 special low rates for medium and small newspapers.