What to Expect from the Goa Chat line!

The Goa chat line is a great forum for the flow of information on issues
related to Goa. Kudos to many! Foremost are the news guys and gals who
provide clippings of Goan news and issues of interest to Goans. That
indeed must be a lot of work. The moderators do tremendous jobs -
technical and editorial - in posting messages on the chat line.  The
archivists and authors of the documents have to be congratulated for
some fine writings (both substance and style) on Goa.  Reading these
documents has been enlightening. Then there are the activists who are
involved in some great projects in and on Goa, its language and culture.
All cyber Goans should applaud the technical staff of the Goa chat line,
all those mentioned above and to the Yahoo network for keeping this line
so flawless.

I personally have connected with a few classmates, friends and others
with whom I share similar interests. I am amazed how information goes
halfway around the world and the answer returns almost instantaneously.
Having left Goa close to 30 years ago, the whole experience on the Goa
chat line has been very instructive.  As expected, most issues are
domestic.  Like everywhere, all politics and economics are local.

The Goa chat line is even more interesting because of the international
nature and flavor of the participants. One person's normal dialogue may
sound "posh" and even "snobbish" to another Goan from a different
continent. Ironically, different styles also call for "sensitivity."
Goans in Goa tend to say and write the word "idiot" a lot more freely
than others. The Brits casually use the word "Bugger" in every fourth
sentence. The Americans use "son of a gun" in a relaxed manner, which
some confuse with "son of a b____."  "Interesting eh?" of course, comes
from the ever-so-polite Canadians.  I get the impression that the guys
and gals "down under" are just having a good time this summer. This is
especially when Goans in the northern hemispheres are freezing their
butts. This brutal winter has been breaking many records!  Goans in the
Middle East are probably too apprehensive to relax and fully participate
in the Goa chat line. They appear to be the only expat group with an
authentic sense of Goan humor and culture which they have made it a
point to actively cultivate in their new environs.

I have taken a turn at writing some articles on the chat line. I thank
you cyber Goans for reading them and to those that made some thoughtful
honored that one respondent appointed me "to set the agenda for future
discussions on this forum."  But I have to decline that mantle; neither
is one needed.

The lead discussant who took the time and effort to write the "Position
Paper" and the "Title of the Topic" lays the parameters.  It is not
uncommon to see the correspondence, after the articles, cover a whole
range of side-issues, which then "take a life of their own." And then
"the tail wags the dog!"  An example of this is how the meaningful
dialogue of the war in Iraq and its impact on Goans (worldwide) brought
references to Hitler, Salazar, and Nehru, to name just a few.
Unfortunately, these comments do not do justice to the original topic or
the lead discussant who painstakingly laid the issues for conversation.
Off-the-cuff irrelevant or detracting annotations and sidebars do not
expand the discussion but lower the standard of the chat and turn off
potential participants. This is self-defeating to the GoaNetters and a
disservice to all cyberGoans. In any article, some humor (which is
always good for body and spirit) is of benefit to the writer and
readers. But comedy alone is a poor substitute for deliberation and
constructive ideas both in the article and in the responses. Goans
fluent in Konkani should use the Konkani idioms and expressions more
frequently especially when an English rendering fails to do justice!

As a learner of Goa and Goans, I have asked questions.  With the present
situation in Iraq, it would be of interest to hear the experience of Goa
and Goans during the Kuwait situation 12 years ago, and the lessons
learnt from that event. Did any NGO or social science department from
one of Goa's colleges study the short-term and long-term impact on Goans
of Saddam's march into Kuwait and then after Desert Storm? The beauty of
a chat line is that it does not hinder basic questions.  I practice what
I tell students, "People get Nobel prizes for asking basic questions!"
Hopefully these basic questions on the chat line challenge Goans to
think about the issues they take for granted and are confident of the
answer.  I have seen statements such as "I have heard all that once too
often!!" Most people (especially those over fifty) know everything. But
the above statement fits and continues to make the typecast that Indians
"know that they know everything."  I hope individuals do not retain the
letters on the chat line and go back to figure who said what to whom.
If one tends to do that, I would use the American expression for that
obsession and call it "anal retentive". (Please give me a Goan
translation!).

As regards to the interesting comments of some letters, (especially the
ones that start with "I thought you said .") the following is my
rejoinder.   "If you think I said what I said, then I said what you are
thinking. But that is not what I said, unless you actually quote the
statement, and the context in which it was made." Beyond that: It is
interesting to learn from someone else what one is really thinking and
saying.

I would like to see a "Just for Laughs" byline. This would be a site to
express Goan humor, jokes, idioms, old stories and food-for-thought.
This may be the first steps that some cyber Goans may take to re-link
with their grandmother's language and recount the stories they heard.
Broad-minded moderators can weekly review incoming e-mails for this
weekend byline. This will assure the stories, comedy and absurdities are
in good taste and definitely not sexist. This could be a great feature
that may have a therapeutic effect on many readers.  Placing these jokes
into one weekly byline (with the sender's name optional) may encourage
more contributors with "vegetarian" and/or "non-vegetarian" jokes.

The experience so far of the Goa chat line has been very stimulating. If
one enjoys the Goa chat line, one has to contribute to that bliss. If
you do not enjoy the Goa chat line, you have the opportunity to improve
it. The chat line will only be as productive, informative and enjoyable
as its members make it. Hence, I would like to add to the many requests
made.  We need more members to chip in and make novel contributions of
their work, thoughts and ideas. These efforts at writing would certainly
maintain or upgrade those essay writing skills we learnt in high school
and college. With today's spell-check and thesaurus, the writing
especially for Goans, should be a breeze.  Anyone needing editorial
assistance for short essays/stories could receive professional editorial
assistance for free if needed. Networking is the operative word.  Since
the Christmas, New Year holidays are over, the football season is behind
us and many cyber Goans are grounded at home by Mother Nature, this is a
good time to start actively participating. With good wishes to all cyber
Goans. Regards, Food for Thought:  Excellence is doing little things in
an extraordinary way.