CONDOLENCE MEETING IN KUWAIT FOR DIOGO A. D’SOUZA.

On 3rd of this month in Kuwait City at Hotel Village Inn, Kuwait Konknni Kendr organized a condolence meeting for Mr. Diogo A. D’Souza who died on 3rd of January this year at his home place, Tivim Goa. The meeting was attended by all the members of KKK and well wishers of Diogo A. D’Souza. Mr. Diogo as he was popularly known in Kuwait and Goa was one of the founder members of KKK and till his retirement from Kuwait about 4 years back he as an executive body member of KKK was actively involved in the promotion of KKK activities to further the cause of Konkani. During his stay in Kuwait for about 35 years he acquired deep knowledge of Goan activities in Kuwait. As a true son of Goa he had great love for Konkani the mother tongue of Goans. In order to promote the cause of Konkani under the umbrella of KKK and even before the formation of KKK he was actively involved in the promotion of Konkani cause in Kuwait. To promote the cause of Konkani and Goa he underwent lot of sacrifices financially and otherwise and faced lot of difficulties from the enemies of Goa and Konkani. As a senior member of our community he was a guiding factor for the KKK cause and always used his wisdom in right direction. In his death Konkani and Goa lost a great son. Such genuine sons of Goa and Konkani are rarity now-a-days.

During the meeting all the speakers highlighted the good work that Diogo did from Kuwait for the good cause. Elvino Rodrigues the president of KKK in his speech described how important Diogo was for KKK and Konkani stressing upon the salient features of Diogo’s contribution while Alexandre M. Fernandes who was very much instrumental in the promotion of Konkani cause since 1978 described unique contribution of Diogo towards the cause of Novem Goem Konkani Daily which came into being from the funds collected in Kuwait – about 5 lakhs -. In order the raise funds for this cause in Kuwait Novem Goem Pratishtan Kuwait Somiti was formed and Diogo was one of the executive members of this committee having great stalwarts of Goan community. Such stalwarts are also rarity amongst us now-a-days. Alexandre also stressed on the good work Diogo did in helping the cause of direct flight from Dabolim to Kuwait. Fidelis Fernandes the president of Konkani Heritage Kuwait in his speech highly applauded KKK for organizing such a meeting to mourn the death of their member and went on saying that such a meeting was never held before. He also said many members of some of our existing Goan associations and clubs have died and gone un-noticed inspite of putting in good efforts in promoting their clubs activities but KKK does not fall into that category. He also said KKK must keep up the good work that they have been doing for such a long time and such work should be the testimony for the memory of Diogo A. D’Souza. Luis Cardoso executive body member of KKK in his brief speech deplored the sudden death of Diogo and said KKK has succeeded in doing so many projects in favour of Konkani and Goa because of the enormous and selfless efforts Diogo put in. Rosary Ferns another executive body member of KKK expressed his deep sense of sorrow over the sudden and untimely death of Diogo whom he always treated as his guru. Mario Rebello yet another executive body member of KKK conducted a short prayer for the repose of Diogo’s soul and requested the gathering to observe a minute silence as a sign of respect. A. Veronica Fernandes compered the proceedings. Renowned Konkani Stage artiste Mr. Sylvester Vaz who is just come to Kuwait for employment rendered a very beautiful Konkani religious song with his mellifluent voice.

TO KEEP HIS MEMORY ALIVE, KUWAIT KONKNNI KENDR AS ANNOUNCED IN THE MEETING DECIDED TO GIVE ANNUAL AWARD FOR ANY KONKANI LOVER/PROMOTER FROM ANY PART OF INDIA. The award will carry a fat purse in Indian rupees annually. More details of this Diogo Memorial Award will be given later.

Earlier in this forum I gave a full sketch of Diogo A. D’Souza when he retired from Kuwait. The readers I am sure will very well remember a year back having read in this forum my article on the very sad and sudden death of Diogo’s son Derek who expired at Mubarak Al Kabeer Hospital in Kuwait, his body was flown to Goa and interred at his home place cemetery. When his son Derek died according to available information Diogo was deeply shocked. It was a very shocking news for the family members of Diogo to receive one more shock within a year. I was in Goa when Diogo died, on 2.1.03 I was at his place exchanging lot of news and pleasantries with him till 12.00 at noon. When I left from his place, I promised him to see him again the next day. Unfortunately the next day never came for him as he died at 12.00 midnight leaving behind his wife Winney, daughter Doreen, Son-in-Law Piety, Daughter in-law Valli and the only grand daughter Daniela that is the daughter of late Derek. I know it is a big shock for the family members to accept and face two deaths one after the other within a short period. I hope and pray to God to give them courage to accept these tragedies. May the soul of Diogo rest in peace.

A. Veronica Fernandes,
Kuwait.