If true...these are sobering facts.  See link for other articles below

http://insaf.net/central/bulletins/feb03bull.html

Why are we poor?
by Dr. Farrukh Saleem

 India plus Pakistan is 20 percent of humanity. India plus Pakistan is a mere 5
percent of world
income. India plus Pakistan have 45 percent of world's illiterates. India plus
Pakistan have 50
percent of all malnourished children. India just by itself has the world's largest
number of poor
people in a single country. In absolute terms, at least 50 million Pakistanis and 350
million
Indians live in extreme poverty (must earn during the day to eat dinner).

 Some 60 years ago, Mahatma Gandhi, the Bapu of all Indians, had said, "Poverty is but
the worst
form of violence." Look at present-day Bombay. The city has ten million people and is
the
financial capital of India. Four million of the ten million live in rough-and-tumble
fabrications
of bamboo, plastic, wood and tin. At least a million live and sleep on footpaths. For
the rest of
India, poverty remains a Himalayan problem. Which one of the 14 prime ministers has
done anything
to save Indians from the worst form of violence?

 On 9 August 1947, Quaid-i-Azam, the father of our country, delivered a speech at the
Karachi
Club. The Quaid asserted that it is the "scared duty of the Sovereign State of
Pakistan to solve
the problem of poverty of the people." Which one of our 11 presidents or 19 prime
ministers has
paid any attention to the Quaid's pledge? Look at present-day Rojhan Jamali, the
birthplace of our
Prime Minister Mir Zafarullah Khan Jamali. Out of all of PM's constituents the
lifetime goal of at
least 90% is to own a Rs.2,000 goat.

 What really is poverty? According to the World Bank, "Poverty is hunger. Poverty is
lack of
shelter. Poverty is being sick and not being able to see a doctor. Poverty is not
being able to go
to school and not knowing how to read. Poverty is not having a job, is fear for he
future, living
one day at a time. Poverty is losing a child to illness brought about by unclean
water. Poverty is
powerlessness, lack of representation and freedom." Both India and Pakistan have all
these forms
of poverty. Why are we so poor?

 Over the last 5 years, India has spent $4.2 billion and Pakistan $2.6 billion on the
importation
of major conventional weapons. For India that converts to $4 on a per capita basis and
$19 for
every Pakistani man, woman and child. India and Pakistan remained the poorest of all
countries but
India is now the 5th largest importer of major conventional weapons while Pakistan is
the 12th
largest.

 Pakistan is poor because we have enriched China Metallurgical Equipment Corporation,
Lockheed
Martin (a billion dollars for F-16s, P-3 Orion, etc) and Raytheon (Stingers,
side-winders and TOW
missiles). Over the past 5 years, we have deposited $1.024 billion into Chinese
coffers, $650
million has gone to Ukraine, $400 million to France and $250 million each to the UK
and the US.

 India is poor because she has been enriching Rosoboronexport, Russia's arms exporting
corporation. Most of India's defense kitty has gone to Russia; $3 billion over the
past 5 years
alone. The Netherlands took in $350 million and Germany another $210 million.

 We shall continue to be poor. Under the long-term Indo-Russian military technical
cooperation
programme there are some 350 new defense deals in the pipeline-including the
production of Lada
class diesel submarines, Gorshkov aircraft carrier, TU-22M long-range bombers,
Akula-II class
nuclear submarines and AWACS. Total tab: $4 billion. Then there is the BAE Systems
Hawk jet deal
with the UK. These 60 Hawks have a price tag of a billion pound sterling which is the
equivalent
of nearly ten years of India-UK bilateral trade. India's neighbour has billion dollar
Agostas so
India must also buy Scorpene 'killer submarines'. France wins both in India and in
Pakistan.

 More recently, Israel Aircraft Industries (IAI) signed a two billion dollar weapons
contract with
Hindustan Aeronautics (HAL). The contract covers $280 million for surface-to-surface
naval Barak
missiles, $300 million for pilot-less planes, $250 million for Green Pine radar
systems, Phalcon
early-warning aircraft and towed howitzer for the Indian army.

 The US, in the meanwhile, has established a tourist-cum-investor 'no fly zone' over
Pakistan
while our armament wish list remains heavier than our GDP. Short range ballistic
missiles,
intermediate range ballistic missiles, F-16 fighters, surveillance aircraft, Harpoon
missiles,
long-range weapon-locating radars, rocket fuel, anti-tank missiles and combat
helicopters.
Additional Main Battle Tanks (MBT) are going to cost $1.5 billion. The PAF wants a
multi-billion
dollar package covering Mirage 2000-5s and then there's F7-P4 aircraft from China and
gunship
helicopters. Spare parts from the US are also high on our wish list.

 Just who is profiting from the sale of all these machines of death and destruction?
The top ten
exporters of conventional weapons are USA, Russia, France, UK, Germany, Netherlands,
Ukraine,
Italy, China and Belarus. The top corporate merchants of death are Lockheed Martin
(USA), Boeing
(USA), BAE Systems (UK), Raytheon (USA), Northrop Grumman (USA), General Dynamics
(USA) and
Thomson-CSF (France).

 When the poverty-ridden East fills West's craving for drugs there is talk of 'supply
control'.
The West remains the chief pretender of virtue but is the largest seller of arms to
the East. The
US, for instance, accounts for a full 50% of the world trade in arms.

 Conflict and poverty are the closest of relatives. Look at Ethiopia, Sierra Leone,
Afghanistan,
Cambodia, Somalia, Nigeria, Pakistan, Haiti, Mozambique, Mali, India or Angola. They
are all in
conflict-either within or with their neighbours-and they are all poor. Peace is an
essential
prerequisite to prosperity. Without peace there can't be any poverty alleviation.

 India's economy is 800% the size of ours. On a per capita basis, we have a record of
spending
500% more on arms imports than does India. Which country is likely to run out of
resources first?
Just who is most likely to win without firing a shot? There certainly are no prizes
for getting
these riddles right. (The News International, Jan 12, 2003 forwarded by Harsh Kapoor,
SACW)