Calisto DeSouza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote on February 08, 2003:

> Gender mainstreaming in inheritance laws exists only in genetics. Civil
>  laws enacted the world over are either matriarchal or, more generally,
>  patriarchal in nature. Either the sons or the daughters inherit family
>  properties. It is only in Goa that both sons and daughters have equal
>  share in the property of their parents, on the death of either or both.
>  It is rather peculiar that the vision enshrined in the Article 44 of the
>  Constitution of Independent India finds its fulfillment in a law enacted
>  during the colonial era in Goa.

How can anyone say that "it is only in Goa that both sons and daughters have
equal share in the property of their parents, on the death of either or
both", when it is fact that the civil code in force in Goa was enacted by
the Portuguese and a revised - more updated - version is in force in
Portugal? In Portugal, not only sons and daughters have equal right of
inheritance to their parents' property, but husband and wife have equal
responsibility within the family- the husband no longer holds the position
of sole "chefe de familia". And, if I am not mistaken, all the other seven
Portuguese-speaking countries have similar family laws.

Jorge