GANG RAPE IN GOA.

With my head down in shame I strongly condemn the “Gang Rape” perpetrated in Goa on innocent girl by 5 “Rostad” students. Moreover, I equally condemn the attitude of many of the Goans not only residing in Goa but also outside Goa for not protesting over this sad incident which according to my knowledge is the first in "Amchem Bhangarachem Goem" since December 1961. During my time I was a student of St. Xaviers College Mapusa, such incidents were unknown and since my College was run by the priests the discipline was very good. Even the students had very good background of the discipline they acquired from their homes because of the very good morals they acquired from their parents. But now everything looks like gone into the hands of "Rostad" from the point of Principal to students. The principal of Art College of Panjim should have out of shame submitted his resignation and retired into oblivion if not committed suicide. Before 1961 such incidents during scholastic career were unknown. Many of the ills of Goa are the derivation of non-Goan influencing factors brought into Goa by the Hindi movies and Hindi, Marathi, Tamil, Telugu, Malyalam cultures and other non-Goan cultural attributes imposed on Goa. Gang Raping in the Campus and Ragging are two such. But worst influence was the habit of keeping silence over such atrocities committed on innocent people.

The news of Gang Rape received in Kuwait by many Goans with utter disgust and people are very much talking of this sad news in their work places, homes, Church compound and even during their social functions. This shows that Kuwait Goans are very much concerned about this incident. I only hope a Good Samaritan will come forward and organize a community members meeting to protest officially over this incident and get its report publicized so that everyone knows what ugly incidents are taking place in Goa under the ugly administration of Goa Government headed by ugly Chief Minister of ugly party BJP. Parrikar is such cunning that up to now no punitive measure are taken against the persons involved in Miramar Sex Scandal. To woo him towards him, Parrikar is sheltering the main person in this scandal. Similarly, in Gang Rape incident of Art College girl student Parrikar will also try to do the same. People in Goa should rise and rise forcefully, organize rallies and morchas – a la Narvenkar during Sunita’s incident – and put pressure on everyone concerned to take harsh actions against all the rapists. Where are the students fraternity and lobby in Goa which created terror for Narvenkar during the Sunita incident? Where is the student force that lobbied forcefully to obtain so many concessions for students including reduction in bus fares? Where is the unity of Goan students now at this critical juncture to side with their victimized colleague? Students all over the world are known to create terror for those who created wrong doings for their colleagues but up now the students union in Goa over this Gang Rape incident is silence.

Why students only, why not Church, Temples and Mosques raise their voices from these holy places against this type of heinous crimes? It is the duty of Priests, Botts and Mullas to preach against this type of atrocities during their preaching services and create an awakening in support of justice. I have no faith in Goa Government to deliver justice. The religious leaders and human rights activitists are the best solutions for such cases to get redressals. Goans in Kuwait are talking against the callous attitude of Police Chief in Goa. Who is this Ghantti Police officer who divulges all the confidential reports to the public when he knows the integrity and dignity of a young girl is at stake? And by the way is this police chief expert in medical matters concerning the rape cases? The greatness of Goan cultural, traditional and social attributes were destroyed beyond repairs by the Ghantti Police Chiefs who took control of Panaji Police Station and Valpoi Police Training College after December 1961. They imposed on innocent Goa something very foreign to Goan way of life. Social conscious Goans should start dharnas in front of Panaji Police station first, then to Altinho where Parrikar is residing and also in front of Art College. It is time now for Goans in Goa to act vigorously and forcefully to demand justice. At this juncture I must also call upon our Goans spread all around the globe to raise their voice in unison and send their protest notes to Goa Government demanding justice. When things are going so bad in Goa we cannot remain silent spectators especially tomorrow it will be a precedent to commit such atrocities. The Goan associations and groups established all around the globe should now raise their voice in support of justice for the raped girl. The Dubai Goykars who recently hosted Goan Ministers and MLAs should force these VIPs to act fast on this matter. Parrikar should not be allowed to close this case without doing justice to the hurt party. Who is hurt party? It is not only the girl who was raped but also the decent and dignified Goan culture which Parrikar is all out to debase.

Meantime, the suspension of Police Sub Inspector Devendra Gad for his insensitive attitude while tackling the Gang Rape incident is a very good decision by the authorities. This bloody Gad from Assagao Bardez and the son-in-law of Vagator is such a curse on Goa that he was acting like Agente Monteiro during the Portuguese era. Without having proper evidence he was known to take innocent people to Police Station and brutalise them the way Agente Monteiro did before 1961 in Goa. It was surprising how this tin pot policeman is allowed to take law into his own hands to torture the innocent Goans. Recently he committed worst crime of torturing in the police station at Panaji of one Goan young man. Such incidents are many to cite. But what is of paramount importance now is for all those who were unnecessarily tortured by this Gad they should now join together and question him of his prerogative of taking law into his own hands. These policemen are known to take liberty of law while sporting stars on their shoulders. Once their stars and stripes are suspended or retired from their shoulders they should be taught a very good lesson so that others will take note of it. In the words of tiatrist William de Curtorim when that Halwaldar shot dead first Konkani Martyr Florian Vaz during the Konkani movement, William said in one of his powerful songs “ To Hawalkar Tumkam Ekoddo Mellot Thor Thaptan Kaddat Tacho Zor”.

Meantime, I congratulate all the social and humanitarian organizations taking up this issue very forcefully. Let others also join in this campaign till justice is meted out.

A. Veronica Fernandes,
Kuwait.

# Send submissions for Goanet to [EMAIL PROTECTED] # # PLEASE remember to stay on-topic (related to Goa), and avoid top-posts #
# More details on Goanet at http://joingoanet.shorturl.com/ # # Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others #