Dear Vivian, Zamlam/Jamun grows easily from seed. Get the seeds of any good Jamun that you like,eat the flesh and sow the seed either directly in the soil or in a polybag/pot. Seedlings are available with Sandeep Azrencar[Ph.2262362] at Mapusa. Grafts are available with Vikas Nursery,porvorim and Viraj Nursery at Karaswada[near Binani factory].
Plastic name plates are no good. The easiest thing to do is to get the metal[tin/zinc] strips used by the builders for jointing the concreting plates[centering]. These are available at Pankar[Mapusa] or even at the Coqueiro- CHOGM Road junction. Give it a coat of black paint and write with yellow or white paint. The book "Horticultural Crops:Lesser Known" and the "Britto Book of Plants" [both edited by me and available at the Other India Bookshop [EMAIL PROTECTED] ] would be of help. At Rs.25/- a copy,such a book is a steal! Aways a pleasure to be of assistance to anyone in Goa...or a Goan anywhere in the world! Viva Goa. Miguel ----- Original Message ----- From: "Vivian D'Souza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Miguel Braganza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Cc: "Botanical Society Goa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ;<[EMAIL PROTECTED] > Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2003 7:20 PM Subject: Re: Using Kuno (Rice Husk) for mulching > Thank you Miguel, even though I did not ask the question, I will definitely benefit and utilize your suggestions. > > I have a question for you or other members of the BSG. I am developing an orchard with all kinds of fruit trees that are common in Goa. I also have a number of native trees on my property for which my employees have told me the names, but I cant remember them all. > I want to keep all the trees that exist on the property whether jungli or not, and plant fruit trees in the sunny unused locations. In order to remember the names of all the trees, I would like to make little platic plaques and mount them in front of the tree so > that I know what each tree is. Can you tell me where to have these plaques made of plastic if possible ? > > Also can the "Zamlam" purple fruit tree be cultivated from seeds, or are seedlings available ? People tell me that they just grow, and one does not plant them. > I dont have any on my property, and remembering how much I enjoyed the fruit when I was younger, I wanted to plant some of them. Maybe the birds and the bats will enjoy them too. Are there varieties of this fruit available ? I remember seeing a tree with very > large fruit, much larger than the ordinary. > > I attended the Plant Utsav last year and look forward to this years event as well. I also spent a lot of time at the Konkan Fruit Fest this year, and enjoyed both events which were well laid out and well organized. > > Vivian A. D'Souza > --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.524 / Virus Database: 321 - Release Date: 10/6/2003 ########################################################################## # Send submissions for Goanet to [EMAIL PROTECTED] # # PLEASE remember to stay on-topic (related to Goa), and avoid top-posts # # More details on Goanet at http://joingoanet.shorturl.com/ # # Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others # ##########################################################################
