Dear Mr. Carvalho.

We at South Goa Public Interest Action Group having
jurisdiction in the entire South Goa Parliamentary
Constituency and registered office at Benlix Bldg
Margao Goa have noted your observations with deep
concern on the unabated "change of land use"

As a matter of fact there is a legal hitch in the Goa
Land Revenue Code 1968 and the Town & Country Planning
Act 1974; viz that while under the provision of GLRC
1968 the action of cutting of hills which comes under
the proviso "change of land use" is a non cognisable
offence, under the TCP it is a cognizable offence in
which the TCP authorities can file a criminal case on
this issue.

This seldom happens and there is a report made by the
Collector of South Goa District Mr Krishnamurthy and
then SDO Deputy Collector Margao Mr Sanjit Rodrigues
in June 2001 pointing out this anamoly and calling
upon the Governement to rectify the same.

What is therefore needed to be done immediately is to
impress upon the MLA of Cortalim Constituency Mr.
Mathany Saldhana to take up this report with the
Government bring an ordinance rectifying the anamoly
as pointed in the report.

Only then the issue of cutting of hills, land filling
or change of land use from agriculture to non
agriculture can be rectified otherwise they end up as
mere quasi judicial cases for years together.

We are marking a copy of this letter to the Chief
Minister of Goa to ascertain the facts and act upon
the report which is perhaps gathering dust in the
office of the District Collector South Goa, so that
the ordinance can be brought forth.

Meanwhile we would appreciate if you could ascertain
the owner of the land Survey No:69/1 in view, whether
Communidade, Government of Goa or a private party.

Involving that party would safeguard the locus standi
and the party aggrieved should be the main complainant
for the litigation to stand in the Court of Law.

Please also obtain photographs of the hill cutting and
the vehicle numbers of the trucks involved to support
the contention of illegal acts.

Kindly post us of the developments
sd/-
Terence Mazarelo