Firstly, there seems to be a confusion..

'..you must be a bastard..' these are the exact words
taken from the song by Alfred Rose.

It was further explained (in the song) 'bastard' means
a person without mother and father.
The word is commonly used now a days even in the
Indian movies (perhaps, in Goan Tiatr too).
And at this side of the world, it is like a  greeting
word as in Hi, Hello etc.
It seems, even  Indians in India now are broad minded
than Indians in western countries who are narrow
minded?

Above was one of the several postings of mine on
konkani..

Secondly, it also appears that attempts are made to
pin-point spelling mistakes.
Romi Konkani is written differently by different
persons, I guess, it is all acceptable so long as the
reader knows what the writer trying to say.
e.g. God = Dev, Deu, Deo etc all these word sound
nearly same hence acceptable.
In konkani, there are no silent letters as in H P etc
in English. In konkani, when 2 letters (Consonant +
Vowel) put together it must necessarily sound more or
less the same.
e.g. English: To = too, Do = doo but Go=go (and not
goo).
The same in konkani would become:  To= to (as in
THOrn), Do=do (as DO re mi fa) & Go=go (as in
GOssip or GOspel/ or just GO same in Eng.).
But exact konkani pronunciation of the above Eng.word
viz TO, DO & GO would be TTU, DDU & GO
respectively..

Sometimes letter K is substituted by letter  C or vice
versa which means the same. e.g. konkani =
Concanim

Now coming to the word 'Goemkar' or 'Goenkar'.

How one would translate 'Mother' into Konkani? will it
be 'Mai' (= month of May in konkani?), will it be
'Main' (=MAIN moje filoz keleai goddache ?) or Maim?

This is enough for today.
Here is some home work for you..

Translate the foll. English line into Konkani:
'I AM GOING TO GOA'   sounds very simple, is it?
Please post you homework on to GOANET or mail me
privately. Also read at home the Posting on 'THEY WALK
THE TALK'  page no 007017 Goanet Archive or click
link below.

http://www.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet/2003-November/007017.html

Note: I am not a konkani scholar, I could be wrong
too, let's leave it to the experts.

Thanks for your time.

joe

# Send submissions for Goanet to [EMAIL PROTECTED]                       #
# PLEASE remember to stay on-topic (related to Goa), and avoid top-posts #
# More details on Goanet at http://joingoanet.shorturl.com/              #
# Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others  #