Just my little bit to add to the current controversy.

In April 1999 (to think that I've been corresponding with strangers since that long back!!) I wrote an e-mail to Rough Guides editor Arnold Barkhordarian pointing out some factual errors in their Rough Guide to Goa book.

+++++++

Dear Arnold,

Thanks for a quick response.

To begin with let me introduce myself.

I'm male, 32 and run a small time DTP business in Panjim, the capital city of Goa. I have lived all my life here in Goa.

Recently I came across your book GOA - The Rough Guide (1996 reprint) which was left behind by a friend of mine visiting from UK. I found it quite fascinating reading despite my obviously not being in your target audience. I particularly liked the way in which the author (David Abraham?) handled delicate matters such as bargaining, tipping, respect for local sentiments /traditions /sensibilities etc.

Only I was a bit dismayed to notice a few (very few actually considering the range the book tries to cover) factual errors have crept in. As I mentioned earlier I would be glad to offer my corrections and suggestions.

Here below are a few. I will submit more as I keep browsing through the book. Depending of course on you feedback.

=======================
Pg 28 last para
RD100cc should be RX100cc

Pg 29 second col para 2
(usually Enfields) should be (usually Rajdoots)
Rajdoots are rode by about 80% of Goan 'pilots'. No 'pilot' would use an Enfield at it would be very uneconomical to operate in addition to be being bulky and unwieldy.

You could also mention that all 'public' (ie. hireable) vehicles in Goa have white numberplates with black letters/numerals. The opposite holds good for 'private' vehicles.

Pg 36 Box on Feni
Fermented toddy, not 'todi' (locally referred to as 'sur' - 'Sur' is also used as a generic derogatory term to describe any alcohol) is distilled to get Palm Fenny (locally called 'Madd'). There is no such thing as Urrack where coconut sap is concerned.

Cashew pulp is squeezed to get cashew 'neera'. This is then distilled to get Urrack. A pleasant light drink whose effects creep up on you (and suddenly you find you're quite high) similar to Tequila. Urrack and more neera are mixed in a ratio of 2/8 (urrack/neera)and re-distilled to get the most popular drink in Goa - Cashew Feni. Good Cashew Feni will not give you a dirty hangover. It is only the addition of other ingredients, to speed up the fermentation process, or to increase the potency (purely for commercial reasons), that results in 'bad' Cashew Feni - the type you described.

P37 Food Glossary
-'bangra' would more correctly be spelt 'bangda'. It is a variety of mackerel and not a 'mackerel like fish'
-crab is 'cullieo'
-coconut sugar or Jaggery is 'godd'

Pg 41 Police
The uniform of the Goan Police is Navy Blue trousers, White Shirts, and Blue and White 'officer type' caps (not berets).

Pg 44 Festivals & Page 87 Divar
Bandeira should be spelt 'Bonderam' (which means flags). It is always held on the last Saturday of August (not January). This festival of flags is a hand-me-down of the harvest festival of ages back, long before the Portuguese or Christianity came to Goa. The island of Divar/Piedade was occupied by seven distinct clans. At harvest times there would be attempts to plunder each others crops. At the onset of the harvest time each clan would have a flag march delineating the borders of their territiory. Often scuffles used to occur due to disputes and weapons were very much visible and used. When peace and unity finally came about the old tradition was maintained but friendly rivalry resulted in 'pea-shooter' type toy weapons being permitted. The actual word for this weapon is 'Fotass'. Made from hollow bamboo shoots and using a pea type seed called 'tefla' as ammunition. Unlike peas 'tefla' really sting when they hit your skin.
Although a lot of menfolk from Divar (and for that matter most of Goa) work abroad, mostly in the Middle East, they definitely don't go about waving their adopted country's flags down here. Even the word 'adopted' is not right as they go abroad only to make some much needed money. They always return home in the end.

Pg 87 Divar Island
The ferry boat crossing has never been free (75 paise per person - vehicles extra).
The Church is of Our Lady of Piety (not Compasssion) hence 'Piedade'.

=========================

That's enough for today

If you could forward this letter to David Abraham or the editor of the new edition then I could e-mail him directly in future. awaiting your feedback.

Cecil Pinto

++++++++++

Arnold replied immediately.

++++++++++

Dear Cecil,

Thanks very much for your corrections, it's great to have such a detailed
review of our publication from someone in the know. All updates (in fact all
travel e-mails) arrive here in my box and I redistribute them to the various
departments concerned. As there's no way of knowing who will be updating the
next edition of any guide until it's commissioned, you can't really contact
the author (and he wouldn't be here anyway, all authors are free lancers).
What happens eventually, is that the next up-dater will receive all the
'Goa" emails before going out there and use them as a guide to his (her)
research. I send them to an office which sends them to an editor who passes
them on to the writer...you get the picture. If you want to get in contact
with the writer when he visits Goa, you could mention your address and I'd
pass it on. In any case, thanks again for your advice and info. So much of
what we get is self-promotion from businesses, it's nice to get an
independent point of view. Regards,

Arnold Barkhordarian

++++++++

I wrote back.

++++++++

Dear Arnold,

You guys sure respond fast to your mail.

It's nice to know that the information was appreciated. Sure I would like to meet the next writer/updater/editor or whatever of the next edition of Goa - The Rough Guide.

My office address is
------------------------------
Pinto & Pinto
3rd Floor, Vijaya Apartments,
Above Satkar Restaurant,
18th June Road, Panjim
Goa
Phone: 436920 / 420249
------------------------------
We are open from 11 am to 6.30 pm from Monday to Saturday.

Please inform him/her not to expect much. I only pointed out a few very obvious errors that I noticed. In fact just browsing through your wonderful book I've learnt quite a lot about my own homeland! And I particularly like the 'attitude' and crisp language used throughout the book. Do congratulate the entire team at ROUGH GUIDES on a great job.

Cecil Pinto

P.S. The front cover of the book (1996 reprint) has a photograph credited to The Hutchinson Library. I am willing to wager that this photograph was not taken in Goa at all. My reasons are as follows:

1) 4 wheeler vehicles are never ferried across in this manner in Goa. Most crossings have a proper motorised ferryboats. In case of a breakdown narrow canoes are put into use merely to ferry pedestrians and an occasional two wheeler.

2) The vehicle behind the Ambassador car, a type of van, is very rarely seen in Goa.

3) The complexion and facial characteristics of the both the driver and the oarsman is not typical of Goa but is very distinct of Kerala (a state further south).

4) The wooden boat design is typical of the type used in Kerala for ferrying sand, stones etc. (and occasionally vehicles) to inaccessible places.

I'm also willing to risk confidently saying that this picture was taken in Kerala!

Major blunder this one. Could someone from the photo research team clarify?

+++++++++

Arnold never wrote back to me after that, not did anyone from Rough Guides contact me, but I can only presume they rectified the errors.

Cecil

P.S.
And before anyone starts correcting my corrections please keep in mind
(1) This was April 1999
(2) These were just preliminary passing corrections in passing, which I would have properly researched and authenticated had Rough Guides got back to me.

=======

# Send submissions for Goanet to [EMAIL PROTECTED] # # PLEASE remember to stay on-topic (related to Goa), and avoid top-posts #
# More details on Goanet at http://joingoanet.shorturl.com/ # # Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others #