IN GOA... over the past week. Some updates (full news stories onsite) from
http://www.oheraldteam.com

Welcome to O Herald Team

South Zilla Panchayat flays govt move to take-over school works
Submitted by Herald Cybernew... on 7 December, 2003 - 2:47am.
MARGAO, DEC 5 (From Guilherme Almeida) The government move to hand over
maintenance of government primary schools to Goa Infrastructure
Development Corporation drew severe criticism from the Zilla panchayat,
South with members threatening to go on a hunger strike if the proposal
is not withdrawn forthwith.
>> read more | administer

Congress decries PDA merger plan
Submitted by Herald Cybernew... on 7 December, 2003 - 2:47am.
PANJIM, DEC 5 (HR) The Congress has opposed the State government*s move
to include rural areas in the planning and development authorities it
has sought to set up by bifurcating the South Goa Planning and
Development Authority (SGPDA) into the Ponda and Margao PDAs.
>> read more | administer

It's political victimisation, says Khalap
Submitted by Herald Cybernew... on 7 December, 2003 - 2:47am.
MAPUSA, DEC 5 (From Jerry Santamaria) Former union minister Ramakant
Khalap has accused the State government of politically victimising him
by filing unwarranted criminal cases against him.
>> read more | administer

Ticket scam report being studied: CM
Submitted by Herald Cybernew... on 7 December, 2003 - 2:47am.
PANJIM, DEC 4 (HR) The State government has already received the report
of the Justice Pendse Commission which was appointed to probe the Goa
Cricket Association (GCA) duplicate ticket scandal.
Chief Minister, Manohar Parrikar, said the report has reached his office
and is being studied.
>> read more | administer

EDITORIAL: Panjim's new names
Submitted by Herald Cybernew... on 7 December, 2003 - 2:47am.
News just out says the seven roads in the capital of Goa could be in
line to get new names. Time for change? Maybe. Old wine in new bottles?
So it would seem. Will it make a difference? Hardly. One question that
comes up is: what's really the purpose behind such repeated attempts.
>> read more | administer

Goa plans rules for pre-primary too
Submitted by Herald Cybernew... on 7 December, 2003 - 2:47am.
PANJIM, DEC 5 (HR) Goa government's just-released draft proposal for the
education policy has laid down regulations for pre-primary education in
the State, including specifications that teachers at this level should
be trained in child psychology.
>> read more | administer

Goa's draft proposals for school education policy released, amidst
controversy
Submitted by Herald Cybernew... on 7 December, 2003 - 2:47am.
PANJIM, DEC 4 (HR) In its efforts to overhaul the present
much-criticised education system, the Goa government has come out with
draft proposals for the School Education Policy for Goa and the Goa
State Council for Education Research and Training (SCERT) with
*enterprise education* and service learning as thrust areas.
>> read more | administer

North India poll outcome eye-opener for Cong: Parrikar
Submitted by Herald Cybernew... on 7 December, 2003 - 2:47am.
PANJIM, DEC 4 (HR) Buoyed by positive results in the Northern States,
Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar today came down heavily Goan Congress
leaders for what he called their *name-sake* criticism.
>> read more | administer

COMMENT * Mining: a hinterland view (by Philip Neri de Souza)
Submitted by Herald Cybernew... on 7 December, 2003 - 2:47am.
Congress Legislature Party spokesman Jitendra Deshprabhu has recently
('7 mining leases in Netraveli cancelled', Herald, Dec 3) made a case
for compensation for mining. I personally feel Mr. Deshprabhu and his
colleagues have really not studied the issue threadbare.
>> read more | administer

CONTROVERSY: It's a battle over a lake, but is there one?
Submitted by Herald Cybernew... on 7 December, 2003 - 2:47am.
PANJIM, DEC 4 (HR) It's a battle over a lake, but is there one? It's a
battle for information, but in a State which swears by transparency,
meanwhile, a bottleneck ensures the info simply won't flow.
>> read more | administer

IT VISION: Infogram brings IT fruits to Goa's rural masses
Submitted by Herald Cybernew... on 7 December, 2003 - 2:47am.
PANJIM, DEC 4 (By Niraj Naik / DigITal Goa) Goa*s rural population are
beginning to taste the fruits of Information Technology with the
computerisation of village panchayat*s functioning.
Three panchayats, from three different corners of Goa, have been
>> read more | administer

EDITORIAL: Goa's broken links
Submitted by Herald Cybernew... on 7 December, 2003 - 2:47am.
Goa reminds us of a website that doesn*t work because all its useful
links are broken. That's true. Poor communication within the state, and
low efficiency means that the initial advantages that Goa otherwise has
are largely lost.
>> read more | administer

Panjim to rename roads; CCP in dark on IFFI
Submitted by Herald Cybernew... on 7 December, 2003 - 2:47am.
PANJIM, DEC 5 (By Sharon Sequeira) The Corporation of the City of Panjim
(CCP) has taken a decision to rename seven roads in Panjim, including
Rua de Ourem and 31st January Road. But it will finalise the new names
at a later stage.
>> read more | administer

Goa is just a 30-minute Goa trip for these Britons
Submitted by Herald Cybernew... on 7 December, 2003 - 2:18am.
VASCO, NOV 30 (HC) Lured by the sea, sand and sun, two British pals
decided to take a trip to Goa.
However, their holiday in Goa lasted barely 30 minutes and that too,
within the airport building.
>> read more | administer

Outline Development Plans: Town & Country Planning Board under scanner
Submitted by Herald Cybernew... on 7 December, 2003 - 2:18am.
PANJIM, DEC 1 (HR) An inquiry report submitted on the drastic changes
made in the Outline Development Plans for Panjim, Margao and Vasco has
unveiled a *tampering* of the ODPs under the garb of modifications by
the Town and Country Planning Board at three consecutive meetings.
>> read more | administer

Mapusa officers accused of 'hijacking' council
Submitted by Herald Cybernew... on 7 December, 2003 - 2:18am.
DULER, NOV 30 (From Agnelo Pereira) Three senior officers in the
municipality have been accused of working in tandem and of having
virtually hijacked the Council.
>> read more | administer

Poll officials in a fix on "unknown" voter names
Submitted by Herald Cybernew... on 7 December, 2003 - 2:18am.
MARGAO, DEC 1 (HR) After holding out repeated threats to strike off
names from the electoral list, election officials in Salcete appear to
have developed cold feet over the legality of the exercise to delete
voters names on the premise that they have shifted their ordinary place
of residence.
>> read more | administer

INTERVIEW: NIO has shown growth, says outgoing director De Sa
Submitted by Herald Cybernew... on 7 December, 2003 - 2:18am.
PANJIM, NOV 28 (By Ashley do Rosario) NIO will miss a familiar face. On
Friday, its director and the renowned Goan scientist, Dr Ehrlich De Sa
left to take on his new assignment to the inter-governmental
oceanographic commission (IOC) in France.
>> read more | administer

Dacoits rob top doctor at Porvorim * Cash, ornaments worth Rs 5 lakhs
stolen
Submitted by Herald Cybernew... on 7 December, 2003 - 2:18am.
PORVORIM, DEC 1 (HC) In a daring operation, armed dacoits attacked noted
Porvorim-based orthopaedic surgeon Dr Deep Bhaskar Bhandari at his house
in Kranti nagar in the wee hours of Monday and decamped with ornaments,
cash and property, all valued at about Rs 5.03 lakh.
>> read more | administer

LIFE'S LIKE THAT: Governor's "guests" land in Panjim jail
Submitted by Herald Cybernew... on 7 December, 2003 - 2:18am.
PANJIM, DEC 1 (HR) In a shocking episode, two Delhites who hoped to
enjoy the hospitality of Goa Governor, Kidarnath Sahani, as VIPs last
weekend actually landed up in the Panjim police lock-up instead, thanks
merely to a delay in their flight*s arrival.
>> read more | administer

Cyberage scheme for teachers?
Submitted by Herald Cybernew... on 7 December, 2003 - 2:18am.
PANJIM, DEC 1 (HR) Now, cyberage scheme for teachers? Seems so. The
Chief Minister, Mr Manohar Parrikar hinted that on lines of Cyberage
scheme for students, the government is planning to provide computers to
teachers as well.
>> read more | administer

EXCLUSIVE: Development a victim of politics in Mapusa
Submitted by Herald Cybernew... on 7 December, 2003 - 2:18am.
DULER, DEC 2 (From Agnelo Pereira) The popularity graph of the Mapusa
Municipal Council Chairperson, Sudhir Kandolkar has taken a plunge and
his leadership has come under a scan within his group and outside.
>> read more | administer

Sensational coverage could be 'killing', warn experts
Submitted by Herald Cybernew... on 7 December, 2003 - 2:18am.
PANJIM, NOV 30 -- Researchers have found that insensitive reportage by
the media could in fact be one of the contributing factors to the
increase in suicide rates.
The suicidal behaviour in vulnerable populations has increased, although
not by news coverage of the suicide per se but by coverage which
sensationalises and glorifies the issue.
>> read more | administer

By 2005, Mormugao hopes for cruise-container berth
Submitted by Herald Cybernew... on 7 December, 2003 - 2:18am.
VASCO, NOV 30 (By Gerard Fernandes) They may look far more beautiful
than other vessels arriving at the Mormugao Port Trust (MPT). But the
presence of cruise ships at MPT has been sharply declining since
2000-01.
>> read more | administer

POLITICS/CRIME: 2 more separate cases booked against Khalap
Submitted by Herald Cybernew... on 7 December, 2003 - 2:18am.
PANJIM, NOV 28 The Crime Branch booked two more separate cases against
former Union minister, Ramakant Khalap among other ex-directors and loan
beneficiaries in the Mapusa Urban Cooperative Bank muddle on Friday.
>> read more | administer

Old documents get new home But Salcete unlikely to get quick relief over
records
Submitted by Herald Cybernew... on 7 December, 2003 - 2:18am.
MARGAO, NOV 30 (From Guilherme Almeida) Long-harried residents of
Salcete are unlikely to get relief quickly from years of battling
mutiliated and missing documents of theirs stored with the government
authorities, even though the sub-registrar*s office is to get a new
home.
>> read more | administer

THE GOOD NEWS: Salvador do Mundo can be model for planning
Submitted by Herald Cybernew... on 7 December, 2003 - 2:18am.
PANJIM, NOV 30 (By Sharon Sequeira) Back to the villages? Bardez*s
Salvador do Mundo village could get converted into a model for rural
planning and development.
This plan is being worked on by prominent architect Gerard de Cunha*s
firm Architecture Autonomous.
>> read more | administer

Govt to finance treatment of AIDS patients
Submitted by Herald Cybernew... on 7 December, 2003 - 2:18am.
PANJIM, DEC 1 (HR) The state government has decided to financially
support the treatment of AIDS patients in the state on pilot basis.
This was announced by the Chief Minister, Mr Manohar Parrikar and Health
Minister, Dr Suresh Amonkar at two separate functions organised to mark
World AIDS Day in the city today.
>> read more | administer

# Send submissions for Goanet to [EMAIL PROTECTED]                       #
# PLEASE remember to stay on-topic (related to Goa), and avoid top-posts #
# More details on Goanet at http://joingoanet.shorturl.com/              #
# Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others  #