Goanet meets in Goa: December 27, 12 noon and January 7, 4 pm (meeting point: Kala
Academy canteen). See you there!
------------------------------

Hi Godfrey

I will at least grant that your article is well
written but it is nothing substantial or beneficial to
either Goans or the cause of Konkani. Adversely it
could only stoke communal mistrust.

For obvious reasons Devanagri Konkani is rightfully
the official language. (Before I was hard-pressed for
time I used to even write in Roman Konkani, I even
have a story book to my name Mukt Jinn Jietana. But
that does not compel me to ask why Devanagri, why not
Roman? Because I know the reason and if you care to
think objectively I am sure you will see why.)

I think issues like Konkani-Marathi, Nagri-Roman
konkani are dead. It is now regional v/s English.
Forward-looking people will agree that the imposition
of Konkani/Marathi at the primary stage is against the
free-wheeling spirit of a democratic society.

Freedom of choice is something fundamental to
democracy. And I am sure it is not only limited to
choosing candidates during elections. The authorities
should leave it to the people to decide what medium of
instruction they should choose for their child.

The students should even be free to choose what
subjects they want. I have a friend who can make a
picture almost as good as a photograph. But he could
never make it to BFA because he could not clear his
Maths I & II at SSC after 4 attempts. What type of
education is it if it blocks us from promoting our
potential or talents?

The Parrikar government’s move to make Math optional
is a great step in the right direction. The
inconvenient implications of the move could only be
avoided at the cost of victimizing our students.

Let’s stop being sentimental and start being
practical. We have a soft corner for our regional
language. But regional languages, particularly
Konkani, hold no future for tomorrow’s citizens of
India both on the employment front as well as in
social intercourse.

Unless we realize this important fact our English
medium schools and colleges will continue to be
English medium in paper and Konkani medium in reality.

Regards

Tony Martin