While riding my two-wheeler in Goa over the past 2
years I have personally seen 2 separate fatalities
involving either the driver or the pillion rider of a
two-wheeler.  Both fatalities could have clearly been
prevented if the driver or pillion driver had worn a
helmet.

I realize that there are a lot of problems associated
with enforcing a helmet law in Goa, where sometimes,
entire families travel on scooters, with the wife on
the pillion seat carrying an infant while another
youngster is positioned between the driver and the
handlebars.  Then again we have "pilots" as motorcycle
taxi riders are called, who ferry passengers about on
their pillion seats.  It would be a tremendous
hardship to enforce the helmet law in these instances.
However if we value life, and place a value on the
productive potential of humans, protective headgear is
essential.  The human head being the heaviest part of
our bodies and cradling our brains is  most vulnerable
to damage in an accident.

Perhaps we could implement a helmet law in stages,
starting with non-commercial two-wheelers.

I agree with most of Aires Rodrigues's post about the
dismal condition of our roads, the dearth of traffic
police to implement traffic laws etc.  But let us not
place the blame solely on 4-wheelers.  2-wheelers
darting in and out of traffic, overtaking from the
wrong side, overtaking when there is a solid line
divider on the highway, not keeping to the left when
making a right turn, and travelling in the wrong
direction on one-way streets seem to be the norm in
Goa.

In every other country that I have travelled to and
driven in, when one approaches a traffic circle,
traffic already in the circle has the right of way.
Not so in Goa.  I have yet to find an authoritative
source to explain to me who has the right of way in a
traffic circle.  The lack of STOP signs at
intersections is another nightmare.  Apparently, the
most audacious have the right of way at intersections,
while the timid bide their time till the honking of
backed up traffic forces even the timid to risk their
lives and cross the intersection.

Stray cattle, dogs sunning themselves in the middle of
the road, and the occasional brood of pigs crossing
the road are common hazards on Goan roads. Roads in
Goa are in-capable of handling the congestion, and the
situation gets worse each day as more vehicle hit the
road.  Where will it end ?  Perhaps road fatalities is
one way for Goa to control its population.

# Send submissions for Goanet to [EMAIL PROTECTED]                       #
# PLEASE remember to stay on-topic (related to Goa), and avoid top-posts #
# More details on Goanet at http://joingoanet.shorturl.com/              #
# Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others  #