Hi Dom: Thanks so much. In Goa, we use good, old fashioned technology. I
just happened to be referencing at the Central Library, just a couple of
days Fr Loiola's query came -- and quite by coincidence on the very same
subject. Hence putting out the information wasn't anything so amazing!

Permit me to share your note with Goanetters, who would also be interested
in accessing the dommartin.cc site.

Just a few minutes after I had dashed off my 4 am
as-usually-nocturnal query about Abbe Faria's home, this is what I read in
Mario Cabral e Sa and Lourdes Bravo da Costa Rodrigues' *Great Goans*
Volume I:

        How Candolim might have been then (in Abbe Faria's time) is
        discernible even today. Sheltered from public gaze by high
        compound walls with dense coconut groves surrounding the
        palatial houses, the landed gentry of the village lived in an
        unreallistic world. The house where Abbe Faria was born still
        exists. It is a public orphanage now -- an unintended tribute
        to Catarina. The room where he was born is now the
        Superintendent's bedroom. Close by, another palatial home with
        a marvellous private chapel, has long since been converted into
        a home for the aged. Further down the road, the house where
        the Pinto's revolt was hatched has been converted into a
        hospital (A part of the house is today occupied by nuns of
        the order of Maria Bambina, who have set up a hospital - BOSIO.
        The other half belongs to the heirs of the Pintos -- the
        family of the late Dr Charley Pinto, an eminent surgeon of Bombay,
        and Capt Edwin Pinto...

Of course the "discernible even today" comment was made in 1985, much
before the full force of the tourism boom in the area changed the face of
Candolim majorly. FN

PS: I do have a small library of Goa related books, collecting which was a
hobby during my college days and in my early stint in Herald in the
'eighties. It had 600 books, almost all on Goa, in a range of languages
(including German and Marathi) when I stopped counting. Anyone wanting to
have a look is more than welcome... wish more Goa-related records could be
digitised and thus made available to all.

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Fred:
>
>  I was astonished at your reference to my 1985/1986 articles on Abbe
> Faria , --  that too, referencing them by date and page number!  How
> did you manage that?  Do you have  a  data base, complete with
> corresponding text?  If so, miraculous indeed, i.e.,  if you will allow
> me access to it.? Unfortunately, what I submitted to Herald and what
> the typesetter inputted is quite alarming.  As you might have noted,
> the one titled:  St. Francis, Abbe  Faria,  and the power of wild
> shrubbery . . .   does not even contain my name!
>
> In any event, here’s the link to the two articles for your record and
> update:
>
> ABBE FARIA:  A man without a home...
>      http://www.dommartin.cc/Literature/AbbeFaria.html
>
> St Francis, Abbe Faria and the Power of Wild Shrubbery
>      http://www.dommartin.cc/Literature/St.%20Francis,%20Abbe%20Faria,
>

> As for the location of Abbe  Faria's house, it is within walking
> distance of the  tinto .  Your best bet for  directions to  is Carlos
> Monteiro (Fr. Chico Monteiro’s nephew).  I can provide his
> brother's email address for contact,
> if you wish.
>
> Regards,
> Dom

> <<<<<<<<<<*** Also see the articles in some recent local newspapers
>     St Francis, Abbe Faria and the Power of Wild Shrubbery
>     Herald, April 21, 1985, page 5
>
>     Abbe Faria: A man without a home, Herald, Apr 27, 1986,

# Send submissions for Goanet to [EMAIL PROTECTED]                       #
# PLEASE remember to stay on-topic (related to Goa), and avoid top-posts #
# More details on Goanet at http://joingoanet.shorturl.com/              #
# Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others  #