When I was in school I always wore school uniforms that were stitched two sizes bigger so that I could 'grow into then'. By the time I did grow into them they were faded and only fit to be discarded. Effectively this meant that I never wore a smart fitting new school uniform right through my 10 years at St. Thomas School, Aldona.

To a lesser extent the same holds good for shoes, slippers, banians etc.

This practice of stitching/buying oversize clothing for growing children is referred to as 'vaddtea angar' in Konkani. Generations have grown up never having once worn an article that was a perfect fit on day one. And by the time it fitted it was no longer new. Bummer!

I am studying the psychological and sociological implications of this and would like inputs from any of you who have gone through such psychological and social trauma in their childhood. Also a few other questions:
- Is this 'vaddtea angar' phenomenon true of even the developed countries where people are relatively affluent?
- Do you still follow the 'vaddtea angar' principle when purchasing/stitching clothes for your children?
- Did 'vaddtea angar' have any permanent debilitating psychological effects on you as an adult?
- Can I sue my parents?


To know if you were from an affluent family in Goa, as a child, please answer the questions below truthfully:

- At what age did you get a wristwatch? Which year was this?
- At what age did you get a cycle? Which year was this?
- Did you constantly wear hand-me-down clothes from siblings/cousins?
- Did you share ice-candy (referred to as ice-fruit/ ice-prate/ ice-crut) with classmates for reasons of economy?



Cecil Pinto (Psychological Researcher - Goa Specific)

========



##########################################################################
# Send submissions for Goanet to [EMAIL PROTECTED] # # PLEASE remember to stay on-topic (related to Goa), and avoid top-posts #
# More details on Goanet at http://joingoanet.shorturl.com/ # # Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others #
##########################################################################

Reply via email to