My Jenny and I have been in Goa for the past three months.

During this time we had the privilege to volunteering two afternoons a week to help some backward students (ex Marathi stream) with their English. Particularly reading. It was certainly a challenge. The text books used for this purpose are of poor quality - both in the textual and print form. The "same" books differed from one student to another. Most of them with grammatical errors. But more importantly, the vocabulary and style of writing used in the reading exercises was most unsuitable for the children in Grade V. This made it very difficult for the students to read.

Nevertheless, their tremendous enthusiasm to come to the afternoon sessions was enough to recharge our batteries every week.

This e-mail is an appeal to Goa-Netters.

St. Michael's Convent caters to some of the poorest in our community. Some parents cannot afford
to buy basic stuff for the children, e.g. shoes and school uniforms. The Nuns are doing a superb job with the limited resources at their disposal.

The Principal, Sister Salvacao Pereira has asked me to make this appeal to our community overseas.

There is an urgent need for the following:

1. An overhead projector
2. Computer parts (for some old 486 and Pentium I machines)
3. Prizes for the development of the students (* see below)
4. Educational CDs (perhaps which your children have outgrown)

re: Prizes for student's development.
One can donate a prize for what one feels is important e.g. music development, social interaction in the village, student showing the most improvement in the year, etc. I f one could donate Rs. 1,000/-, this would be put into an interest bearing account and the interest used annualy for the prize. The annual prize could bear your name.

If anyone is interested, they may contact me in the first instance or contact the school directly.
I would suggest that any money contributions be made directly to the school at:

St. Michael's Convent High School
Anjuna, Vagator
Bardez, Goa
403 509

Attention: Sr. S. Periera
Appeal - Ref: SMS/2003-04/220

I thank you all in anticipation.

Tim de Mello [EMAIL PROTECTED]

MSN Premium: Up to 11 personalized e-mail addresses and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

# Send submissions for Goanet to [EMAIL PROTECTED] # # PLEASE remember to stay on-topic (related to Goa), and avoid top-posts #
# More details on Goanet at http://joingoanet.shorturl.com/ # # Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others #