Curses come home to roost. The Ponjekars relaxed while the Panaji-based Goa
State Infrastructure Development Corporation Limited undertook projects all
over Goa. Now GSIDC Ltd. has come down to the home turf: cutting 'old' trees
in the 'old' GMC compound, demolishing buildings, changing the
classification of land, converting old 'heritage' sites into new 'real
estate', cloning the new Patto bridge[ albeit 'in' the river, not 'across'
it!], demolishing the 'old' football stadium at Campal and trodding
rough-shod over the sentiments of the 'old' people living with old memories
of a quaint old tow that was Panjim. Ha-ji, it is now Panaji.

Celine Dion of the 'Titanic fame sings the following lines" When you want
the most,there is no easy way out.....When you question me over simple
actions, I do not know what to say..." It is a refrain that the GSIDC and
the state Government seem to have adopted. Like the Backstreet Boys they
seem to say, "But I want it that way!"

The people of Goa...you and I...may have our aspirations echoed in the words
of the very same Backstreet Boys when they sing, " I don't care who you are
,where you are from, what you do ...as long as you love me." Ditto for the
trees, the birds and the bees.

To many souls like me, it is a hope that things will come back to normal,
that this 'bhooth' of four-laning the Dayanand Bandodkar Marg that possessed
the Goa Government a year before the Goa IFFI was even conceived, will be
exorcised in the election booths of Panaji Assembly segment. No , not by
voting for Dr.Willy[except for those who would vote for him anyway] but by
voting to  help an inconsequential candidate to save face, if not his
deposit. Let the MLA of Panaji, who is the Chairman of the Infrastructure
Corporation, know that the electorate cannot be taken for granted. That,
though the electorate is not asking for his recall or wanting to displace
any particular candidate, it can send a message that it is not too pleased
with the dictatorial attitude. It will depend on the Ponjekars, if they feel
strongly about the city, to send the message. TOGETHER FOR PANJIM. If not,
let them not cry hoarse in the streets or indulge in the backroom whispers.
To borrow a phrase from my friend Ethel, 'Be ready to stand up to what you
believe in'... and be counted by the EVMs.Do not sleep at home on 26 April
and consider it a 'protest'...go out and vote. Its now a countdown to the
counting on 12 May. A poor show in Panaji will be as clear a message as a
good showing in Salcete. No party should take the electorate for granted.

Let the political parties in Goa sing with Roxette, " It must have been
love, but its over now..... It's where the water flows; it's where the wind
blows....but I lost it somehow."
MGP has learnt its lesson the hard way. No point going soft on the others.
Perform or perish. We can then sing with Bon Jovi, " It's my life; it's now
or never. I ain't going to live forever. It's my life!"

Viva Goa.

Miguel

---