# If Goanet stops reaching you, contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]          #
# Want to check the archives? http://www.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet/    #
# Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others  #

I have yesterday successfully prevailed upon Mr. Anthony Frois, uncle of the
13 year old girl allegedly molested by Ribandar Parish Priest Fr. Newton
Rodrigues not to go on his scheduled hunger strike.

Mr. Frois was to sit on a hunger strike on Saturday 9th October before the
residence of Chief Minister at Althinho in protest against the Goa Police
for dragging its feet in the investigations of the molestation case.

In an hour-long meeting with Mr. Frois yesterday in the presence of seniors
from the village,  I appealed to Mr. Frois that the police be given time to
complete its investigations and charge sheet the Parish Priest as undertaken
by the Police in the High Court on 16th September.

Admitting with Mr. Frois that the parish priest's conduct had tarnished the
name of the village I  expressed confidence  that the sacrifices made by the
Ribandar parishioners would bring justice to parishioners across Goa who may
be facing such acts of sexual exploitation.

It was also agreed that immediate action should be taken against those who
are pressuring the victim and her mother to hush up the matter by
withdrawing their complaint against the parish priest.

There is no denying that the charge of molestation registered against  Fr.
Newton Rodrigues is of a very serious nature especially in view of the fact
that the victim is a minor girl and that the Parish Priest had allegedly
committed the offence in the Church premises and that the law does not
discriminate on the social status of the offender.

Aires Rodrigues
Ribandar