# If Goanet stops reaching you, contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]          #
# Want to check the archives? http://www.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet/    #
# Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others  #

Dear Fred:
Your characterization of my position as apologetics (defending the Church)
is unfortunate. I have taken a middle of the road position contextualized in
social sciences. Caste, as discrimination of any sort, is a human problem;
it does not solely belong to any particular institution. This problem of
caste, which, indeed is a problem, has to be resolved by individuals at a
very personal level. Institutions may create a helpful environment, but it
is the individual that has to respond. Laying blame at the feet of the
institutions is easy, and absolves everyone of personal responsibility. It
gives one something to boast about and gain legitimacy in some social
circles.

Your post - particularly what I highlight below is brilliant.

A sincere conversation on this topic can be transformative; but a combative
discussion will perpetuate the problem.
Basilio Monteiro

The problem with caste isn't caste in itself, but the fact that
     ingrained into it are in-built notions of superiority and
     inferiority. This goes against the very grain of a democratic
     one-(wo)man-one-vote principle, where people are judged by
     their individual attributes and not group identities.

     In times when mass-education is playing the role of a great
     leveller, and changing Goan society tremendously, the
     incongruity of caste-based feelings of superiority or
     inferiority is even more glaringly apparent.

     Migration is another great leveler, and I genuinely accept
     the frankness with which some expats say, "Caste, what's that?"
     We need to be moving towards a meritocracy, where each
     individual is given a fair chance for all his/her talents to
     bloom, and then judged on the basis of what talents s/he has.
     Affirmative action is however not to be decried, just because
     it cuts into the traditional cake of the already well-off.

     When certain groups manage to corner an unfair share of the
     cream for themselves, you're going to see negative 'social
     capital' and also market imperfections, that block growth.

     Caste is obviously going to remain of sociological importance,
     maybe to understand who we are, where we come from. Also,
     our histories. Maybe even where our ancestors were unfair
     towards others (obviously harder to admit), or got bullied
     by others. Etc, etc.

     But I don't think we can, or should, march forward into the
     past and create networks on these lines. Like a businessman
     has only one caste and one religion -- money, it makes more
     sense -- likewise it would better for anyone who opts to
     deal with all human beings without preconceived notions.

     My caste identity, if at all, should matter as much as my
     blood group (A+), or the colour of my underwear (brown).
     It is there,  but doesn't entitle me to feel superior
     or inferior to anyone else merely because of it being there.