# If Goanet stops reaching you, contact [EMAIL PROTECTED] # # Want to check the archives? http://www.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet/ # # Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others #

In reponse to this from me (following Aloysius' posting):

My dear Aloysius, Yes, the doors are closing all over the wrld because of Desi Abuse of systems. However, I believe that babies born to migrant workers (WORKING in Goa and paying their share of the taxes) SHOULD receive the same benefits Goans are entitled to.

Mr. Frederick Noronha (FN) wrote thus on Wed Nov 3 03:19:02 2004:

#1: <Are we confusing issues here?>

#2: <(iv) Generally, the basis for discrimination is domicile, which is 15 years in Goa's case -- at least on paper. (Interesting to note here that a stringent application of such rules would work against many expat Goans themselves, as is happening in the case of those based in the Gulf. But that's another point.)>

#3: <In such a context, the argument that people come to Goa to have their children born here would be untrue. Maybe they came because Goa once had better hospitals than the surrounding districts (today, places like Belgaum have caught up and raced ahead).>

#4: <Paying "their share of taxes" can also be a misleading argument, in a context of low tax compliance. Some years back, the number of tax-payers in India was just a million or two (though now efforts to increase compliance are being stepped up.) A lot of taxes here are indirect taxes, which fall probably more heavily on the poor>

Dear Mr. Noronha

re: #1:
Please refer to context in Aloysius' post and then mine. The only person who might be in danger of confusing issues and apples - is you, Mr. Noronha.

--

re: #2:
Once the rule is fair, and fairly applied, it matters little if it works against any particular group. If it is unfair, there should be public pressure to change that rule. The Press has a role to play in the education of the public & in the application of pressure on the politicians.

--

re: #3:
Arguments aside, would Mr. Noronha care to advise us of the (available) statistics of this delivery-related migration to Goa?

The Belgaum-hospital scene has reportedly raced AHEAD in the PRIVATE sector. The facilities being used by these delivery-related migrants in Goa, are PUBLICly funded. Accordingly, I submit that the argument put forth by Mr. Noronha is a non-starter.

In any event, The standard of Hospital Care was NOT the primary concern - expressed by me wrt this topic. It was the Vote-Bank, MEDICLAIM ..AND .. the FUNDING for MIGRANT HEALTH CARE that I raised. Perhaps someone who lives closer to South Goa, than I do, will give some input - preferably someone who works in the Public Health sector in South Goa.

Nothing wrong with assisting ANYONE in need (or for that matter, IFFI)...BUT one first needs to look after the needs of one's own.

Charity, I submit, begins at home.

---

re: #4:
Nothing misleading in the word "taxes". IF one lives in Goa long enough, one will have paid enough of TAXES. As you have rightly pointed out, a LOT of the taxes are indirect.

BTW: What happens to the funds which are collected - is anyone's guess. Wonder if Mr. Noronha has written anything about it in the Goa or International Press

juss moi

jc

please visit "NEW" on The Goan Forum at http://www.colaco.net

Recommended Goa related sites