# If Goanet stops reaching you, contact [EMAIL PROTECTED] # # Want to check the archives? http://www.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet/ # # Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others #

Hi Cecil:

Read your arguments on the issue of 'thread hijacking'. In my personal capacity, however vehemently you argue, you cannot stop me from saying that I see a rather unhealthy trend to use the subject-line to poke fun at others, ridicule persons whose arguments are being contested, and insult members of Goanet.

If anyone wants to check out what I mean, just go to the October 2004 archives (or, any recent month) and read just the subject-lines. A handful of posters are fairly persistent in this.

And don't raise the oft repeated you-are-trying-to-censor-me cry here, for I'm just saying that arguments *can* be conducted without demeaning each other, or resorting to name-calling.

As posted earlier:

   If you want to start a new thread  then use your
   mailer's/newsreader's "New Message" function. This will start a
   fresh thread of your own without any traces of previous threads.

What the above implies is that if you're carrying on an on-going thread, you have no real reason to change the subject-line. Unless one has the motives outlined in the first para, I guess.

What also happens is that all others using the reply-to function and continuing the thread carry on with the same bizarre heading (above is one example), without perhaps even being aware.

Indeed a cheap way of even scoring debating points!

If you go through the archives, you will see the way subject-lines have been changed to ridiculous ones.

Secondly, the archives go all awry, and it becomes difficult to follow a conversation that pertains to a single subject.

If anyone wants to start a new thread, do so by all means. But not by distorting (in a way that seems targeted to offend someone else) the subject-line of the on-going thread.

Made my point. FN

PS: I personally don't mind it, and am quite a thick-skinned guy. Also, as you would have noticed, I don't usually fall to flame-baits so this is not going to have any specific impact on me. What it *is* going to do is to probably discourage a number of new members from posting. It's also going to promote this stereotype that "Goanet is not for the fainthearted" (as Miguel put it once). All points of view must go through; but is it too much to expect that points be made politely?