# If Goanet stops reaching you, contact [EMAIL PROTECTED] # # Want to check the archives? http://www.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet/ # # Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others #

George Pinto wrote:

--- Peter D'Souza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

George,
You're misinformed. The CRA passed because of Republicans and in spite of the Democrats.. According to the Congressional Quarterly, 82% of Senate Republicans voted for it, while only 69% of Democrats did. In the House, 80% of Republicans voted for it and only 61% of Democrats did.

Peter,

No, I am not misinformed in this matter. Your statistics above are a "Fox News, right-wing talk
radio" version of events. By quoting percentages, you give the impression that the Republicans
were a greater number. The fact is 46 Democractic Senators voted for the Civil Rights Act versus
27 Republicans. In the House of Representatives, 152 Democrats and 138 Republicans voted for it. It is actual votes and not percentages which matters.

Hey George,
For the record, I have not once watched Fox News. I read 4 or 5 columns by liberal commentators each day, it's important to hear what each side is thinking. Let's stick to the issues, eh? My statistics didn't give the impression that the Republicans were a greater number, all I was saying that there was a higher *proportion* of Republicans in favour of the Civil Rights Act than there were Democrats. Quoting absolute numbers is fine as long as you quote the number of those who opposed it. So while your numbers above make Democrats look good, they would make Democrats look really bad if you were to quote the numbers of those in each party who opposed it. It is shameful that, in spite of having a super-majority, House and Senate Democrats opposed the CRA in such large numbers.

The Republican percentage seem higher because they were represented a smaller number of the total.
I just wanted to point out Peter's skewing the facts (intentionally?)

Skewing the facts? Please post the numbers of Democrats and Republicans who opposed the Civil Rights act, will you? You have not disputed my facts, just my presentation of them.

For the record, I am a registered Independent and not a Democrat.

Okay, being registered Independent, Democrat or Republican doesn't mean a thing. In Kentucky, where I live, the vast majority of people are registered Democrats who vote Republican in almost every presidential election. (P.S. I plan to register Independent too.)

In the last few days my intention has been to point out the repeated distortions and half-truths put out by people who get their news from Fox News and talk radio and smear good people like John Kerry.

George, where do you get your news from, the New York Times, perhaps? (120 plagiarized stories by one reporter alone; "168,000 items looted from the museum in Baghdad"--subsequently revised down to thirty eight; pre-election-week weapons story that should've been told over a year ago; Duelfer Report's non-news headlines about weapons of mass destruction while ignoring the real news from the report about Saddam bribing the Chinese, Russians and French...)

Good luck and be informed.
Sincerely,
Peter D'Souza