http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/holnus/009200412290312.htm

Parrikar warns Congress of legal consequences over film

Panaji, Dec. 29 (PTI): Warning the Opposition Congress of "legal consequences"
if it continued to "whip up communal feelings" within the State, Goa Chief
Minister Manohar Parrikar, on Tuesday said a controversial film on the
liberation movement was being used as a vote magnet.

"If the Congress tries to polarise the Hindu and Catholic community over the
issue, the Government will not tolerate it. They will have to face legal
consequences, “ Parrikar told reporters here.

The film, which has been produced by the Government, is at the centre of a
controversy, with several freedom fighters, experts and the opposition Congress
terming it "communal," claiming that it presents a very distorted version of
Goa's freedom struggle against the Portuguese.

"The Government has not interfered in the script of the film. The script has
been prepared by the screening committee, which consists of people of all
religions. We will be having an exclusive screening of the film for freedom
fighters on the 30th of this month where the members of the committee will be
present to answer any questions that might be raised," Parrikar added.

"The film has a certificate for universal viewing from the censor board, but
even then if some one feels it is offensive to a particular community, he is
free to write to us or the committee and we will make the modifications,"
Parrikar said.

Denying that film was made compulsory viewing for schools in the State, the
Chief Minister said "no such circular or order has been issued. We have sent
the CD to schools like we send a whole lot of other supplies, there was no
compulsion on them to show the film."

Frederick Noronha         784 Near Convent, Sonarbhat SALIGAO GOA India
Freelance Journalist      TEL: +91-832-2409490 MOBILE: 9822122436
http://fn.swiki.net       http://www.livejournal.com/users/goalinks
fred at bytesforall.org   http://www.bytesforall.org