Proposed Benny Hinn Prayer Meeting At Bangalore Surrounded By Controversy

By SAR NEWS

BANGALORE, Karnataka (SAR NEWS) -- Controversial American evangelist, Benny Hinn - whose 'Festival of Blessings' programme is scheduled to be held in Bangalore, January 21-23 - has come under scathing attack by intellectuals, the medical community, Christian organisations and various anti-conversion groups.

The renowned preacher is taking severe flak, particularly from pro-Hindu groups, following his alleged remarks likening idol worship to prostitution. Hindu religious practices are replete with millions of deities and idols. His visit to India is also seen by some groups as an attempt at religious conversion.

While the Government of Karnataka has averred that it would not ban the Hinn show bowing to pressure from critics, the bigwigs, including union ministers and chief ministers who had earlier expressed their willingness to attend the programme, are now rethinking their decision.

The organisers of the prayer meeting in their pamphlets have promised to present several VIPs during the three-day festival, including Union Human Resource Minister Arjun Singh, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy, Karnataka Chief Minister N. Dharam Singh, Maharashtra Chief Minister Vilas Rao Deshmukh and Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy.

Chief Minister Dharam Singh, January 18, made it clear that the Karnataka Government would not ban the 'Festival of Blessings' to be held at the Jakkur airstrip on Bangalore outskirts, but he said that his administration would take serious action if the prayer meeting hurt public sentiments.

"There is no scope under the Constitution of India to ban religious functions. Nor is it right to impose a blanket ban on such functions. However, we will act if the programme becomes a law and order problem," he told reporters in Bangalore.

"In a democracy, all are free to express their views," the chief minister said in response to the decision of spiritual heads of 17 major temples in Karnataka to stage a protest demonstration in front of the State Legislative Assembly building in Bangalore, January 19, demanding a ban on the Hinn programme.

Even the former top police officials that the organisers of the meeting had paraded a few days ago have started distancing themselves from the programme stating that they were only looking after security and not counting on the "blessings".

Meanwhile, Jakkur, the show venue, has turned into a virtual fortress with lights and sound systems getting erected for the event. The entire area has been enveloped in a blanket of security. Bangalore Police Commissioner, S. Mariswamy, January 18, said that the programme would be videotaped by the city police. "Every part of the programme will be recorded by the police, as this will also help in providing evidence in case of any untoward incident." Police personnel will be deployed in all corners of Jakkur airstrip, he added.

* * *

Bangalore Archdiocese Stays Off Benny Hinn Programme

By SAR NEWS

BANGALORE, Karnataka (SAR NEWS) -- Archbishop Bernard Moras emphatically said that the Archdiocese of Bangalore was not involved "directly or indirectly" in the organising the controversial American evangelist Benny Hinn's 'Festival of Blessings', beginning January 21 at Bangalore.

"Everybody has the right to preach about Christ, but that does not mean it should have the fanfare and hype of the coming Hinn show. Even Jesus Christ went about preaching the good news and doing good and he worked awesome miracles. But he did it all in admirable humility," the Archbishop told SAR News, January 18. "I think the Hinn programme is attracting too much attention through unnecessary publicity."

The archbishop said a Christian preacher should draw the people to God the Master, and not himself or herself. "Nobody can claim that he or she works miracles. It is God who does them through human instruments."

On alleged Hinn's remark equating idolatry with harlotry, Archbishop Moras said no one had the right to condemn anybody of any religion. "It is sad that somebody has made such a remark. I do not know if Hinn has said that, but I say no one has the right to condemn any religion. Every religion has good practices. We must take the good and build on them to have a better relationship with God."

On the "misconception" that the Roman Catholics worship idols, the prelate who heads 340,000 Catholics in Bangalore Archdiocese, said: "External symbols are necessary for a religion. I want to put straight the people who think Catholics are idol worshippers that Catholicism is not idolatrous. We do not have idols. We only have statues and we 'venerate', not 'worship' saints. Worship belongs to God and God alone. The images of saints we have and venerate help strengthen our relationship with God."

"However, religion is much, much beyond outward symbols," he added.