Pope John Paul II dies

Roman Catholic church's leader
succumbs after lengthy illness

In his final public appearance Wednesday, Pope John
Paul II gave a blessing from his studio window
overlooking St. Peter's square at the Vatican.
BREAKING NEWS
MSNBC staff and news service reports
Updated: 3:30 p.m. ET April 2, 2005

VATICAN CITY - Pope John Paul II, who headed the Roman
Catholic Church for 26 years, died on Saturday
evening, the Vatican said in a statement.

The news was immediately announced to around 60,000
gathered in St Peter's Square and was met with a long
applause, an Italian sign of respect. Bells tolled and
many people wept openly.

"Our Holy Father John Paul, 84, has returned to the
house of the Father," Archbishop Leonardo Sandri told
the crowds.

"The Holy Father died this evening at 9:37 p.m. in his
private apartment. All the procedures outlined in the
apostolic Constitution `Universi Dominici Gregis'
that was written by John Paul II on Feb. 22, 1996,
have been put in motion."

Papal spokesman makes announcement
The announcement came from papal spokesman Joaquin
Navarro-Valls and was distributed to journalists via
e-mail.

- Forwarded by Gaspar Almeida, Associate,
www.goa-world.com

Pick of the day:
http://www.mangalorean.com

Thomas Stephens Konkani Kendr