[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

G o a n e t - N e w s   B y t e s      APRIL 12, 2005   DATELINE: GOA
  ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____
||g |||o |||a |||n |||e |||t ||   Issue compiled by
||__|||__|||__|||__|||__|||__||   Frederick Noronha
|/__\|/__\|/__\|/__\|/__\|/__\|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Copyleft Goanet 2005 Creative Commons http://www.creativecommons.org
You may reproduce this ezine in its entirety, with credits retained.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

WHAT'S IN TODAY'S EZINE: Mango prices still beyond reach of the commonman.
Officials confident of Goa's water supply this summer. Reports from the
Milagres feast, and a special tribute to artist F N Souza on his birthday.

        PRICEY MANGO STILL ELUDES COMMONMAN: It's mid-April
        and the king of fruits, the mango, is still out of the
        reach of the commonman. The most delicious and favoured
        variety of the Mancurado mango is still being sold for
        Rs 600 to 800 per dozen, when actually the price
        should have dropped to Rs 150-200 per dozen by now,
        a time when normally the peak season begins. Goa's
        mango crop is limited due to the late flowering of
        mango trees, writes journalist Bindya Chari. (Herald)

        THE OFFICIAL VIEW: WATER SUPPLY GALORE Goa's Public Works
        Department does not fear any water shortages this summer, as
        the store of water is sufficient. However, water shortages
        could arise due to power supply failures, which cause a
        hindrance in pumping the required quantity of water,
        officials said. (Herald)

o Choosing a new Pope: Cardinals begin countdown to conclave. (NT)
o Tonca sewerage plant to become operational from April 14. It will
  be run on an experimental basis for 45 days initially. (NT)
o Two murders in three days: how effective are the Goa police? (GT)
o Nine students move high court over Common Entrance Test. (GT) The new
  qualifying exam for professional colleges in the state is raking
  up controversy, with politicians too fishing in troubled waters.
o 65-year-old Conceisco Dias is fighting to get an illegal meter
  installed in her Vasco house by her estranged son removed
  for the last two months.  But the Electricity Department is making
  her run from pillar to post. (GT)
o President's Rule is a sound flop at the Paradiso. Citizens and
  journalists complaining about noise-pollution from the government-
  owned restaurant turned nightclub and rave party venue, Paradiso
  in Anjuna. (GT)
o Comunidade de Anjuna to hold extraordinary meet on third Sunday
  after this notice to discuss allotment on lease (aforamento)
  for residential houses by Vikrant P Malwankar of Chapora,
  Mukund K Naik of Chapora, Pandhari D Agarwadekar of Chapora,
  Shankar S Khandeparkar of Chapora, and Roque Monteiro of Guirim.(GT)

        PHOTO COVERAGE: The fallout of IFFI works done in a jiffy.
        Vehicle owners using the D B Bandodkar Marg have been
        risking their lives as they face metallic bumps due to
        hot mix wear-off. The exposed metal sheets were put up
        to cover the drain channels on the stretch during the IFFI.
        No remedial measures have been initiated so far over the
        last few months. Will the authorities wake up and look
        into the serious matter? (Photo Barnabe Sapeco, Gomantak Times)

        PHOTO COVERAGE: Law makers turn law breakers. Police seen
        issuing challans (fines) for various offences, as they cracked
        the whip on vehicles with fancy number plates and
        modifications in Goa. On the right, a traffic interceptor
        parked right on the footpath in utter violation of parking laws.
        (Photo in the Herald)

        PHOTO COVERAGE: A young lady seen seen pouring oil on the
        statue of Our Lady of Miracles, in a traditional gesture,
        at the St Jerome's Church in Mapusa after the 6 am mass on
        Monday. The parish celebrated its popular feast of
        Milagr Saibinn with much pomp and fervour as done over the
        centuries. Photo Joel D'Souza.

o Chain-snatching case at Agaciam. Girls of three minor girls were
  snatched, as they were strolling in the St Lawrence feast fair.(GT)
o Anganwadi sangathan workers submit memo to Governor. (GT)
o All Goa Computer Teachers' Association want services regularised. (GT)
o Vegetarian Society to meet today at Youth Hostel Miramar. Rinea
  Dourado will speak on Rekhi, a form of healing. (GT)
o Governor to lay stone for a village school playground at Goa Velha.(GT)
o NIO, Chowgule College sign MoU to encourage student-faculty interaction.
o Dr NPS Varde of the Goa Energy Development Agency at Saligao will
  be the grievances officer at the state level. Phone 2407186 or 2407112.
o Just two papers are remaining for the SSC students. Maths II was better
  compared to the bitter experience they had with Maths I. (GT)
o Barely two-and-half months after the Delhi high court quashed the
  appointment of R B Prabhavalkar as director (operations) of Goa Shipyard,
  the Centre has re-appointed him to the post, leading to a fresh round
  of litigation over his appointment. (GT)
o Indian Catholic Press Association awarded Ixtt editor Fr Peter Raposo,
  Hindi writer Peter Paul of Bihar, Ajmer's Sr Mariana, and Ranchi's
  Shishir Tudu. Times of India senior assistant editor Nina Martyris won
  the best outstanding young Christian journalist award, while the best
  reportage award for Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribe issues went to
  the Hum Dalit publication of New Delhi.
o Muslim problems should be addressed in an organised manner: Luizinho (GT)
o Francisco Colaco 56 of Nuvem died after falling from a coconut tree.GT
o Woman found murdered on Pilerne hillock. Aged about 20, she was
  found with jewellery, leading police to rule out robbery as motive.(H)
o Margao police on their toes to arrest spate of robberies. (H)
o Tandoor stall run in a an Old Market passage at Margao raided.(H)
o Terrific traffic jams reported from Cuncolim. (H)
o Indiscipline makes Ponda a sewage menace. (H)
o Mormugao civic chief Deepak Naik likely to face no-trust vote today.(H)
o Villagers stage star for better road at Avedem-Paroda, Quepem. (H)
o Eight members of Chorao panchayat join Congress party. (H)
o Unruly mob shout slogans, disrupt no-trust proceedings at the
  Curti-Khandepar panchayat. (H)
o Half of Curchorem-Cacora's council's ten members boycotted the
  inauguration of the Rs 1.5 million night soil tanker. (H)
o 20-year-old wood polisher, Rita from Gorakhpur-UP, was stabbed to death
  by unknown persons at Benaulim on Monday evening. (H)

DEATHS & OBITUARIES

        Tributes were paid to asst accounts officer in the
        Forest Department, Prakash Ghantwal, on his untimely death. (GT)

        Seventeen-year-old Nadia Menezes from Caranzalem met with
        an unfortunate accident on April 11, while driving her
        Honda Activa two-wheeler. She is believed to have
        dashed into a coconut tree and succumbed to injuries. (H)

        CARANZALEM: Nadia Maria Menezes, student, Auxilium Convent
        School. Daughter of Gerson and Filomena, sister of
        Conrad and George, grand-daughter of Olivia and late Dr
        Jeorge, Margarita and late Caitano Costa Bir, neice of
        Maria de Fatima (Portugal), George (Bobito), Maria do
        Ceu (Ceuzita) and Magdalena/Appolo. Cousin of Alba,
        Audrey, Tricia, Ryan and Hazel, died under tragic circumstances.
        Funeral April 12 at 4 pm for St Michael's Church, Taleigao.

BANGALORE/SIRLIM: Aquila JAC Rodrigues, b 1932. Wife of late Victor,
mother/in-law of Mario/Joan (Mumbai), Ivo/Lakshmi (Bangalore),
Alex/Wilma (Bangalore), Noemia (Hyderabad) and Rene/Andrea (Houston,US).
Sister/in-law of Sr Bernadine (SRA), late Francis (Babit)/Nonata, and
Benny/late Patrick. Grandmum of Rahul, Siddhart, Naina, Johnny, Tim,
Joseph, Vijaya, Andrew, Martin, Annie, Shanthi, Shawn and Craig.
Funeral Apr 12, 4.30 pm at Sirlim.

FATORPA-COTTA: Flora Candolina Fernandes, b 1936. Wife of Martin Fernandes,
mother/in-law of Sidon/Velly, Lalita/Joseph, grandmum of simran, Alison,
Romancio, Luiza and family. Funeral April 12 at 3.30 pm to OL of Fatima
Church, Cotta-Fatorpa.

MOLCORNEM: Sebastiao Minguel Fernandes. Husband of Alzira Laurean Fernandes.
brother of Juzik Fernandes (Alfa Bar Palolem). Father/in-law of Roby/
Mira, Ermina/Donato, Cancy/Agnelo (Avila Tours and Travels), and Alex.
Granddad of Annson, Aden, Cylton, Cryston, Chella, Avila, Cresila and
Aslone. Funeral April 12 at 10 am to OL of Piety Church.

PAETONA/SALVADOR DO MUNDO: Maria Bernadina D'Souza e Saldanha. Relict of
Antonio Rosario Saldanha, mother/in-law of Filomena/Teophilus,
Vincent/Alice, late Felix/Olinda, Rudolf/Lucy, Rita/Breton, grandmum of
Trevor/Lynette, Trenton/Christine, Fiona/Malcolm, Terence/Carol, Alvin,
Allan Paul, Elizabeth/Lawrence, Elvino/Priti, Elaine/Noel, Myrtle/Joseph,
Worrel, Natasha. Great-grandmum of Kyle, Carl, Mathew, Mark, Alison, ethan
and Jaiden. Funeral on April 13 at 4.30 pm. Body will be kept at Saviour of
the World Church from 3.30 pm. Transport from Stella Maris Chapel at 3.15
pm. No condolence visits please.

GOA SPORTS

Vasco Sports Club has confirmed the appointment of Matthew D'Costa
as their assistant coach, but the former Cabral Sports Club
coach's role will be much more than just being Derrick Pereira's
deputy. While Pereira continued to "take a break" at home, Matthew
hurriedly packed his bags and boarded a late-evening train to
Calicut (Kerala) on Monday.

Sahil Sawkar has been named captain of the Goa Cricket Association's
Under-15 squad for the invitational tournament organised by
Damodar Sports Club of Margao.

CULINARY CORNER * Share your recipe with Goanet News Bytes!

CHANA USAL: Ingredients -- 1 cup sprout chana, cooked. 1 lemon, extract
juice. 2 tbsp oil. 1/2 tsp garam masala. 4-5 curry leaves. 1/4 tsp crushed
cumin seeds. Salt to taste. Grind to a paste. 1 small bunch fresh coriander.
8-10 green chillies, 1/2 cup fresh coconut grated.

METHOD: Heat oil in a heavy, large vessel. Add paste and stir fry for two
minutes. Add three cups water and bring to a boil. All all other ingredients
and stir and boil. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cook
till oil separates, floats on top and chanas are soft. Check, add more
chillies or garam masala if desired. Garnish with chopped onion. Serve it
with either chapatti or paratha.

WEATHER, ETC IN GOA

Max 32.7. Min 23.3 deg C. Humidity 78% by day and 69% by night.

TRIBUTE TO A GREAT GOAN: FN Souza

GOANET VOLUNTEER Bosco D'Mello in Toronto remembers rancis Newton (F N)
Souza

India's most important and famous modern artist, Francis Newton Souza, was
born on April 12, 1924 in Saligao, Goa. Today would have been his 81st
birthday. He was raised by his mother, a dressmaker. Souza was pursuing an
art education at the Sir J.J. School of Art, Mumbai before he was expelled
in 1942 for taking part in the 'Quit India' freedom movement. He then went
on to found the Progressive Artists' Group in 1947 along with fellow
artists, Ara, Raza, Husain and others, leading the edge of the Indian
modernist art movement. In 1949 he left for London where after a few years
of struggle he began to make a mark on the art scene.

In the 1950s, Souza shot to fame with his one-man show at Gallery One in
London, which is also when his autobiographical essay, 'Nirvana of a Maggot'
was published.

- Awarded the John Moore Prize at the Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool in 1957
- Received the Italian Government Scholarship in 1960
- In 1967 migrated to New York. Received the Guggenheim International Award

In 1959 his autobiography, 'Words and Lines' was first published.

*** Here are some of the occasions he was invited to exhibit at:

- The Institute of Contemporary Arts, London and the Venice Biennale - 1954
- Guggenheim Foundation, New York - 1967
- Minneapolis International Art Festival - 1972
- Commonwealth Artists of Fame, London - 1977
- India: Myth and Reality - Aspects of Modern Indian Art, Museum of Modern
  Art, Oxford - 1982
- Festival of India, Royal Academy of Art, London - 1982
- Modern Indian Painting, Hirschhorn Museum, Washington D.C. - 1982
- East-West Visual Arts Encounter, Germany (FDR) - 1985
- Exhibition of Chemical Works, LTG Art Gallery, New Delhi - 1995

*** Some Posthumous Exhibits & Auctions:
- http://www.kumargallery.com/souza2005/press.htm
- http://www.bsgart.com/pages/GalleryNews.html
- http://www.shareholder.com/bid/news/20050309-157645.cfm
- http://www.asiasociety.org/support/specialevents/edge_desire.html

His paintings can be found in the Baroda Museum, Baroda, National Gallery,
New Delhi, Tate Gallery, London, Wakefield Gallery, Wakefield, Haifa Museum,
Israel, National Gallery, Melbourne.

A brief biography and photos can be found at
http://www.srimatilal.com/souza/contact.html

Souza passed away in Mumbai on March 28, 2002.

*** In his Obituary: F.N. Souza - The Myth, the Fury, and the Silence...,
Goanetter, Dom Martin writes:

Francis Newton Souza's myth began before he even took the first existential
gulp of air. According to him, he was painting murals in his mother's womb.
Interestingly enough, this feat was earlier eclipsed by Salvador Dali, who
reputedly began the tradition of decorating the maternal cavern.

...he was a gun-toting maverick, gunning down customs and dogmas with his
rhetorical brush and pen. At other times, he would transfigure himself into
a bulldozer, leveling down friends, relatives, foes and anything else that
stood between him and his next landmark.

However, unlike Picasso who spent his last years doodling, and Dali, who
wound up signing blanks -- Souza in the end was "surrounded" by fakes. Word
is hobnobbing around that the workshop for these fakes is situated in Goa!

In retrospect, whoever Souza was and whatever he became, one will continue
to hear his footsteps in the corridors of Modern Indian art.

Read Dom Martin's entire article that includes sketches by Souza at
http://www.dommartin.cc/Literature/FNSouza%202002.htm

*** Ben Antao, a passive Goanetter and founder member of Goa-Goans, first
wrote about Souza back in 1963 when he interviewed him for an article for
the Navhind Times. His article was titled: Francis Newton Souza : Genius in
the field of modern art

He then said "......Francis Newton Souza, whom art critics here and abroad
have acclaimed a genius in the field of modern art. But there is nothing
abstract or three-dimensional in the work of Souza, who is essentially
original and individualistic, very much as he is in real life."

He goes on to write "Souza is one of the few amiable men I have been
privileged to meet. Obviously irritated by the suggestion made at a function
that he should recognize his roots and fall back upon them, Souza minced no
words when he told me that there was no such thing as having roots in one
country."

He quotes Souza - "Roots need water from clouds forming over distant seas,
and from rivers having sources in different lands," he said and added that
one's roots lay where one's home was.

On Souza's passing in 2002, Ben reminisces, "I was 27 years old when I wrote
that piece. Having reread it today, I feel there are two words in that 1000-
word article that need clarification and explanation.

The first is the word 'genius' in the headline.

The second word that needs clarification is 'amiable'.

>From my readings I'd gathered that Souza was a hothead and an egotist. He
kept his voice soft and friendly, but his dark eyes were sharp and probing.

I sent a copy of the article to Souza at his London address. Souza replied,
complimenting me. He ended his letter with this sentence in his carefully
formed handwriting, "I am not a megalomaniac by nature, but do you think
that an art gallery could be opened in Panjim displaying my paintings and
bearing my name?"

Read Ben Antao' entire article at
http://www.srimatilal.com/souza/review_antao.html

*** Souza's writings:

THE TRUE ARTIST - from: THE PARAGRAPH by F. N. Souza, New York City, 2000

The true artist can never be pressured by society; his compelling art
shirks- off all pressure except the pressure of Art!

I do not understand the purpose of prayer. Praying to whom? God, the Virgin
Mary and numerous saints; Hindu gods outnumber all the gods of other faiths!
--
 The span, from Nature, Gods, to celestial beings... apsaras and avatars
galore! The gods and spirits have to be supplicated and praised -- or else!

....Or else what? -- Or else nothing! The futility of prayers, said to
nothing, to thin air...

It's good if the artist or writer means to make the viewer or reader laugh
at his work. It's far better than crying before a work of art. The main
purpose of the artist is to produce an elevated response. Then only is the
work meaningful, and not a daub.

....Stupidity is the second nature of human beings; they go-about their
mundane daily lives by being clever by half! -- Their basic nature is greed
and selfishness... even their 'God' is pompous, like they like to be: it is
He who says in the Old Testament, "I am holier than thou", obliquely used by
humans against the fellow who is overly-pious, but actually expressing their
own silly 'one-upmanship'! We know nothing, and science tells us less...

All the logic we may apply in order to discern the truth about Nature leaves
us bewildered. And the formulas and theories of scientists and philosophers
leave us cold!....

I seek Beauty more than knowledge. In fact, knowledge can be ugly. (ENDS)

WHAT I SEE - by F.N. Souza, New York city, February 2001

What I see as art (by studying art and Nature over the years) is that Art is
Nature and Nature is Thought!

Nature is a thinking process which we 'see' as development, growth and
evolution.

I see Art as Nature. Dante talked of Nature as the Art of God. But to me
it's become obvious that God is a creation of Nature in the mind of man, my
premise being that Nature is the Sole Principle, the principle of Life
itself!

...The Universe (Nature) is a living entity, beginningless and endless, and
all life, living creatures, etcetra, live off it! There's no reason why
seas, mountains, stars, suns and planets are not parts of living structures,
living for aeons of time, too vast for human comprehension to accomodate.
This amounts to Art being a prompting of Nature.

...Beauty is Nature's creation; colours are a wonder; Light, which contains
colours, is a miracle; chiaroscuro, caused by shadow and reflected light,
causes objects to become manifest; and so on - the wonder of it all!

The best I can say about Art is that man would die of boredom without it.

Science, I must point out, is a human concept. It is not the monopoly of the
scientific community.

*** Some of Souza's paintings can be found at:

http://www.fnsouza.com put together by his curator Srimati Lal
http://fnsouza.info/paintings/paintings_thumbnails.html
http://fnsouza.info/chemicals/chemicals_thumbnails.html
http://www.scolarfineart.com/pages/thumbnails/40186.html
http://www.vadehraart.com/f_n_souza.htm
http://www.glenbarra.com/fn/

*** Additional Sources:
http://theory.tifr.res.in/bombay/leisure/art/fn-souza.html
http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/arts/story/0,9848,738977,00.html

E & O are incidental not intentional!

We need your help to promote Goanet, a volunteer-driven network:

  ... .   ...    ....   .. ...     ....  .||.    Founded in 1994
.|....'

Goanet, the net-worker of all networks. Stay in touch. Send in updates.