It claimed the lives of a hundred and forty odd
firemen, a plaque at the Claire Road firehouse
remembers them. A propeller blade, 300 pounds, landed
on the hockey ground of St.Xaviers School, two miles
as the crow flies - it was mounted on a pedestal and
placed on our beloved 'marble' ground, with a plaque,
naturally:  Father Heras did not have to dig for this
souvenir ! Twenty years later, in the 60's, dredgers
continued to haul 20 pound gold ingots with harbour
sludge - the lost outbound cargo was our 'loan' to the
war effort !!                               eric.