"Philip Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On goanet we sure do seem to be fighting over SOMETHING! What it is I dont know yet.

Let me suggest an answer (a thousand answers?), though I could be wrong:

o Over your vision versus mine about Goa's history, geography (aqui e
  Portugal, Goa Indica, an independent country?), culture, language,
  definition of what it means to be a Goan... and the like
o For attention, notice, our place in the sun, the craving for
  recognition.
o Over the right way to run a mailing list. Your definition doesn't
  tally with mine....
o Over the last word....
o Over eyeballs, built up over 10 years, and now could be misused
  as a sitting duck for anyone wanting to package a party,
  product or whatever.

I am also not sure what social capital is being built. But, hey,
good luck with the efforts!

Frankly, neither am I very sure, Prof Thomas. But then, building social capital isn't a very easy job. From my understanding, there is no fool-proof way of doing it. One never knows when one is getting there... or whether the 'social capital' being built is of a negative kind!

Anyway, we value readers like you who have consistently given us interesting inputs, never grumbled (about what *others* are doing) and have consistently added value to Goanet.

While on this issue, Prof. I would be personally grateful if you could kindly lead a discussion on the issue of social capital, what goes into building it, and whether at all we could hope to achieve something via a Net-based mailing list such as this (or whether ours is only a pipe dream!) FN

   _____
 _/ ____\____    Frederick Noronha * Freelance Journalist * Goa
 \   __\/    \   India T +91.832.2409490 M +919822 122436
  |  | |   |  \  http://fn.swiki.net http://goabooks.swiki.net
  |__| |___|  /  http://www.bytesforall.net http://www.bytesforall.org
  If you are related to the field of IT (or even if not) please visit
  http://www.bytesforall.org, a network on how computers can help the