[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

G o a n e t - N e w s   B y t e s      MAY 26-31 2005   DATELINE: GOA

       /                                         d8   Founded in 1994
 e88~88e  e88~-_    /~~~8e  888-~88e  e88~~8e  _d88__ by Herman
 888 888 d888   i       88b 888  888 d888  88b  888   Carneiro
 "88_88" 8888   |  e88~-888 888  888 8888__888  888   ---------------
  /      Y888   ' C888  888 888  888 Y888    ,  888 http://www.goanet.org
 Cb       "88_-~   "88_-888 888  888  "88___/   "88_/ We're on your side!
   Y8""8D  http://www.goanet.org * http://www.goanet.org

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

        Looking back of what happened in the last week of May 2005, in
        summary format. Some important news here... including the
        disqualification of two BJP legislators by the courts. Prior to the
        disqualification, the BJP had 16+1 supporters in the Goa assembly,
        while Congress had 17+2. Read on...

MAY 31, 2005
------------

o Goa should start work on setting up Special Economic Zone, says
  union minister Chidambaram (NT)
o Forgery case (involving claims that independent Filipe Neri
  Rodrigues had joined the BJP, grounds for his disqualification)
  forensic report received, says Goa police chief. The report had
  certified that the signature of the former minister, Rodrigues,
  had was forged, said the police. (NT)
o Philip Neri's forged signature has vindicated my stand of
  dismissing the Parrikar government, says Governor Jamir. (GT)
o Girl killed as pre-monsoon showers lash Goa. Tashim Zamkandi, 12,
  died when lightening struck their one-room house at Pazorkoni
  in Cuncolim. Two other children were injured. (NT)
o Excise Department cracks the whip on election code violations,
  raids 16 places. (H)
o Heavy rains hit normal life. (H)
o Tobacco is top killer in Goa, suggests survey. Each year, 40-50
  percent of deaths in the state are caused by tobacco-related
  diseases, revealed a survey by the National Organisation for
  Tobacco Eradication. (H)

MAY 30, 2005
------------

o Renew efforts to make Goa stronger, says Governor Jamir. (NT)
o Make public the forensic report on Neri signature forgery,
  demands Luizinho Faleiro. (See details above)
o Philip Neri Rodrigues case -- cops trying to figure out the
  culprit. (H)
o Isidore seems to have an edge in Poinguinim. (NT)
o Cosme Mathias Menezes (CMM) Group of Companies founder Paulo
  Jose Menezes died after a brief illness. He was 95 and is
  survived by three sons and three daughters. (NT)
o Former MLA Victor Gonsalves claims that the uniform fishing ban
  imposed by the Central government is "an injustice" to the
  fishing community in Goa, owing to fishing illegally carried
  out by fishermen of other states in the waters of Goa. (H)
o Congress upbeat, but Digambar Kamat facing tough battle in Margao.(H)

MAY 29, 2005
------------

o BJP to move supreme court over the Goa high court bench ruling
  disqualifying two of its MLAs. (More details below)

        A single Goan candidate -- Om Kelkar of Usgaon in
        Ponda taluka -- passed out from the Mandovi Naval
        Academy, and this was cause enough for the Navhind
        Times to report the story with a top-of-the-page
        single column on Page 1. He was the lone Goan among
        197 trainees who passed out ... giving a hint of how
        few from here seem to be joining the Navy.

o Digambar Kamat faces tough challenge as BJP gains sympathy. (NT)
o Video pirates killing movie business in Goa. (H)
o BJP's Monte Hill mission flops. Saffron brigade cold-
  shouldered as residents stay indoors. (H)
o Babush-BJP supporters clash in Taleigao. (H)
o Lack of rabies vaccines adds to woes of poor in Goa. (H)
o People should choose politicians, not parties. (GT/W)

MAY 28, 2005
------------

        GOA HIGH COURT BENCH SETS ASIDE ELECTION OF
        2 BJP MLAs: In a significant judgement, the
        Bombay High Court at Goa May 27 set aside the election
        of two Bharatiya Janata Party MLAs -- Dayanand Mandrekar
        (Siolim) and Rajendra Arlekar (Vasco da Gama) -- by
        declaring their election as null and void on the
        grounds that both were holding offices of profit under
        the state government during the time of the May 2002
        assembly polls. However, upon the request of the
        respondents, the High Court granted a stay for a
        period of 30 days for the operation of this order,
        to enable the disqualified MLAs to appeal before the
        Supreme Court. (NT)

o Congress seeks arrest of Tanawade, Dhond over Neri forgery case. (NT)
o No forensic report received, says police. (NT)
o Sonia Gandhi should assure us on respect to mandate, says BJP. (NT)
o Delhi chief minister Sheila Dixit (Cong) hopeful of winning all
  five assembly seats in Goa. (NT)
o SpiecJet starts low-cost flight to Goa. Fare for Goa-Mumbai
  is Rs 899 as compared to other airlines which charge
  Rs 3959 for a normal economy seat. The Goa-Delhi flight is Rs 2399
  as compared to the other airlines price of approx Rs 11304. (NT)
o Congress promises to keep teachers' retirement age at 60. (H)
o Both disqualified BJP MLAs lose their voting rights immediately,
  says advocate Amrut Kansar, himself a former politician. (GT)

MAY 27, 2005
------------

o Congress vows to honour mandate. (NT)
o BJP promises dole to jobless youth within 12 months, if the
  party comes back to power. (NT)
o In Cumbharjua constituency (covering Divar and other areas),
  Madkaikar and Nirmala Sawant vie for Congress votes. (NT)
o Benaulim sees battle royal. (NT)

        FREE BIRTH CERTIFICATES? Heard of schools offering
        birth certificates to parents, in a desperate bid to fill
        seats in their schools, so that they could get the
        adequate number of students and qualify for government
        grants? This is just what is happening, blatantly,
        in Poinguinim, Canacona. (Freddy Rebello, in Herald)

o BJP manifesto has endless promises: from employment to
  stability, governance and progress. (H)
o Nobody is funding me, claims Isidore. (H)
o I'm 100% sure of victory, says BJP's Ramesh Tawadkar in Poinguinim.H
o In Benaulim, there are promises galore. But the garbage issue
  takes a back seat. (H)
o Rs 300,000 worth narcotics seized at Dabolim airport. Russian
  national Dimitri Ryabitov (35) and his German companion Heiao
  Adam (29) were found in possession of 2.75 kgs of hashish. (H)
o Says Mickky Pacheco: "Churchill is sucking the blood of 21 constituencies,
  Alva plays dirty games. BJP offered me ten crores (Rs 100 million)
  to support Parrikar in the confidence vote. I'll make sure they
  never come back to power."
o Monte Cruz says: "I will ride the negative wave against Mickky."

MAY 26, 2005
------------

o Sushma Swraj apologises for canvassing for Digambar Kamat in 2002. (NT)
o Goa police chief Umesh Kumar Katna said Goa would have two police
  stations in the coastal areas of both districts, besides a marine
  police force exclusively for the coastal belt. He said there was
  "every possibility" for suspected terrorists or Naxals visiting Goan
  beaches, and claimed the police were keeping a watch on "every visitor".NT
  [While police fail to solve local crime, the repeated pointing to the
  'external threat' can seem to be exaggerated.]
o In Taleigao, Atanasio 'Babush' Monserrate plays his ace to defeat
  his BJP novice opponent. (NT)
o Battle for Taleigao hots up. Goa Su-Raj candidate, Floriano Lobo,
  ruffles a few feathers. (GT)

        Geeta Khanolkar (formerly Sheela Samant), hailing from
        Molcornem in Quepem, has become a corporator of
        the Mumbai Municipal Corporation. (GT)

THE WEATHER

Goa is getting its share of the rains, though officials call it the
pre-monsoons. In a trend reminiscent of this times of the year (end-May,
early-June) the days can sometimes heat up, bringing about a precipitation
of rain by late evening. Today, June 1, was a cool and overcast day
throughout (till the time of writing at 3 pm). The weather, while bringing
in some of the inconveniences of the rains (including a number of power
failures and power cuts, specially in the not-so-urban areas) has brought in
a welcome respite from the summer heat.

CULINARY CORNER * Served special for Goanet, from Daisy Rodrigues, Calif.

ANDHRA PRADESH: Let's visit this state next.  It can be visualized as a
beautiful state interspersed with its exotic crafts and lively religious
festivals; it also offers a rich palate to the gourmet. Their biryanis,
kababs and chicken delicacies are supposedly mouth watering.  This is an
Andhra recipe for:Marinated Chicken Biryani

Chicken (cleaned and cut into small pieces)
3 big onions
1-inch ginger (chopped fine)
6 flakes of garlic (chopped fine)
1-tablespoon kus-kus
1 bunch of mint leaves (chopped)
1 bunch of cilantro (coriander leaves -- chopped)
1 bunch of curry leaves (chopped)
1/4 cup yogurt
salt- as needed
3 teaspoons of garam masala
Juice of 1/4 lemon
3 cups of basmati rice- cooked (tip: do not cook this rice all the way.
Turn off the stove when the rice is slightly tender)
A handful of cashew nuts
oil as required
saffron (few threads), if not available, please use 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric
powder
4 to 5 tablespoons of milk

Soak Basmati rice for about 20 minutes.  Grind garlic, ginger, kus-kus and
all greens into a fine paste and keep separately.  Add yogurt, lemon juice,
and garam masala to the paste.  Place the chicken in a deep bowl, prick it
all over with a fork, then rub the paste and a little salt all over the
chicken and marinate it for about an hour.  In the meantime, grind some
cashews and keep aside.  Place saffron in milk.

Cut up onions in rings and fry them till golden brown and keep aside, then
squeeze some lemon juice and salt all over the fried onions).  In the same
pan, add a little oil, place some of the caramelized onions, the marinated
chicken and the cashew paste and cook till done.  Preheat your oven.  This
is where we have to work fast.  In a large pan or casserole dish, place one
layer of rice, one layer of the cooked chicken and caramelized onions,
sprinkle with saffron milk, then repeat the layers till you have the
caramelized onions on top.  You can garnish with some more cashews if you
like.

Cover the dish with a silver foil or if you are using a pan, cover with a
tight fitting lid.  Put the pan in the hot pre-heated oven and bake for
about 15 minutes. (the traditional way calls for putting in back on the
stove for about 10 minutes until the rice cooks through, but I tried putting
it in the oven and it works just as well).  This is a delicious dish that is
perfect to serve to your family and guests. Enjoy!

Feedback to Daisy Rodrigues [EMAIL PROTECTED]

||g |||o |||a |||n |||e |||t ||   Issue compiled by

Copyleft Goanet 2005 Creative Commons http://www.creativecommons.org
You may reproduce this ezine in its entirety, with credits retained.

Goanet, the net-worker of all networks. Stay in touch. Send in updates.