AIFF scores an own goal

NILANJAN DATTA

TIMES NEWS NETWORK[ FRIDAY, JUNE 03, 2005 11:01:28 PM ]

NEW DELHI: It isn't official as yet. Nevertheless, it's inviting criticism. All India Football Federation's (AIFF) plans to ban foreign recruits in domestic tournaments other than the NFL is drawing flak and seems like boomeranging on it.

In Goa, as many as eight professional clubs on Friday signed a memorandum urging the AIFF to maintain status-quo. "We have forwarded a resolution signed by the clubs to AIFF," Savio Messias, secretary of Goa Football Association (GFA) told TOI on Friday. "How can AIFF dictate terms to us?" Savio lashed out. "Can the FIFA ever decide on the number of recruits that will be playing in the NFL? The AIFF never provides any financial assistance. How can they eat into our revenues?"

A senior official, in fact, claimed that banning foreigners for domestic ties isn't within the jurisdiction of the AIFF. "It's unconstitutional. Majority of the office-bearers aren't well-versed with the rules. They don't know what falls within their domain."

Savio strongly feels that absence of the recruits, who are crowd-pullers, will have an adverse effect on the marketing of the game.

In Kolkata, the Indian Football Association (IFA) governing body meeting takes place on Saturday (IFA looks after the game in West Bengal). Its secretary, Subrata Datta informed: "We too have received communication signed by all the registered clubs opposing the move."

When contacted, an NFL club official remarked: "As per FIFA guidelines, a foreigner has to be recruited for a minimum of six months. But as the NFL runs only for three months, we would be deprived of the players' services for three months. We have already finalised deals with recruits for the next two years."

Another club official added: "If the recruits are barred from domestic tournaments, how would we finalise combinations and strategies? Even the AFC Cup allows three foreigners. But the respective clubs won't be able to field them. The AIFF, it seems, isn't interested in seeing Indian clubs garner international glory.

"The AIFF calendar suggests that the national team's exposure tours take place in June-July. If the Indian stars too stay away at that time, the state leagues would further suffer. Foreigners comprise just over one per cent of the total strength of a squad. How can this be a roadblock to Indian footballers?"

Savio was livid. "The AIFF should develop state leagues all over. Goa and Bengal will be the worst sufferers in this case. The sponsors won't be attracted; the media would also stay away. Tell me, how will it prove beneficial?"

The issue would be decided in AIFF's executive committee meeting in the Capital on June 8.