http://www.navhindtimes.com/stories.php?part=news&Story_ID=062010

Power Supply Crisis at Goa University

by Nandkumar Kamat

A serious and unprecedented power crisis has gripped Goa University
campus throwing all our routines out of gear. I have lost the count of
telephone calls I have made since Friday afternoon to Bambolim
sub-station from where the Goa university campus is supplied with power.
After spending 24 hours without power I could not take it anymore.

I rang the Power Minister, Mr Digambar Kamat on June 18 and pleaded with
him to restore our power supply. But nothing happened. The power
continued to mock at us when we were working at the laboratory or on the
computers. The people answering my calls from Bambolim began giving
different explanations. Initially after heavy rains on Friday evening
the power supply to university was cut. I thought that the repairs would
be done on emergency basis. But there was no power that night.

On Goa Revolution Day, I was sleepless and very exhausted. I was told
that power would be restored after cutting a tree which had fallen on
the transmission lines. Actually the lines which connect the Bambolim
substation to the university transformer pass over a plateau and there
are no tall trees anywhere. But I had to believe this version. “how long
would it take”, the lady on the other side said- ``may be an hour”.
Three hours passed. When I reached the laboratory the generator power
from university’s sub-station somehow managed to keep our work going on
two phases instead of three for some time. But the regular power supply
had not been restored.

Then I was lucky to get the Power Minister himself on the line. He
promised to give instructions. But at the time of typing the article, on
Sunday afternoon, I have no guarantee that power would not be
interrupted again and again. Since morning I have turned on and then had
to switch off the computer at least eight times. Since Saturday morning
I have been struggling to finish this article to let the people know the
pathetic state of our basic utilities in the fifth year of the 21st
century at a location which is just two kilometers from the Governor’s
residence and within a shouting distance form the state capital. Where
would we complain?

Most of the time the sub-station connection is engaged. There is no will
within the university to aggressively pursue this matter with the power
department as an issue of public importance. This may be my third
article in this column during the past four years on the issue of the
pathetic power crisis in Goa University campus. On Saturday evening
again when I enquired another reason was given by the linesman who came
on the phone. Apologetically he said that the feeder routing power to
Goa University is corroded by sea salts and it is giving them trouble.
He was silent when I asked him whether similar feeders supplying power
to Raj Bhavan and NIO-Dona Paula area are protected from corrosion.

Why the power department fools us by organising pre-monsoon maintenance
shut downs? If the university feeder is corroded then it needs to be
replaced promptly. If overhanging tree branches cause problems then chop
those off. On Sunday morning there was no power. This time the inquiries
revealed that some jumper had malfunctioned. Bad feeders, jumpers,
conductors-what the power department has been doing all these years?.
What are their priorities?

Why the VIP and VVIP areas are well-looked after? Goa University campus
is often an island of darkness at night when the rest of area from
Bambolim to Donapaula is well illuminated. The University has
underground cabling so there are no problems even during the storms for
internal power distribution. Then why single out the Goa university
campus for second class treatment?

The frequent power interruptions have seriously affected the academic,
teaching and research schedules. The damage to the sensitive electrical
and electronic instruments despite using surge suppressers and voltage
stabilizers is incalculable. It has affected all our schedules. No
class, practicals, demonstrations or research experiments can be planned
without uninterrupted and regular, stabilized power supply. Like health
and transport, education and research are also essential commodities.

The university spent the generous amount of Rs 18 lakh for removing the
old, corroded electric poles and replacing these with RCC poles.
However, the external power supply and transmission from Bambolim
sub-station has not improved. The power department despite the support
and backing from the minister himself has not done enough to identify
the problems and improve the power supply to Goa university campus. We
shudder to think about three more months of monsoon. The campus is
surrounded by several mosquito breeding sites. New slums have come up
with migrant labourers. It is just a matter of time when Malaria hits
us.

Lack of power also cuts off our water supply because the electric pumps
do not work in the morning. We continue to suffer without both power and
water supply. We have to stock candles and mosquito coils in
anticipation of power failures. During the past three days I have been
able to sleep for only eight hours instead of the normal twenty one.
With sleep deficit compromising our health and our efficiency how the
government and the society at large expects us to deliver the goods? I
am getting deeply alienated and demoralised within this system.

I also know the trouble and the risks which linesmen of the power
department and their junior engineers take despite bad weather
conditions. I have seen them working past midnight in stormy weather to
give us some relief. But if the quality of transmission equipments is
itself poor then they can not do much. As compared to the past the power
supply situation is gradually deteriorating. And if the explanation is
purely technical then the solutions should also be technical and very
well within the financial capacity of the government. Situation should
not be allowed to drift so badly that a citizen has to call the Power
Minister himself to look into the complaint.

If there is a brief power failure, it is understandable. But how can you
tolerate a 24 to 40 hours power shutdown? Or interruptions every five to
ten minutes? Or nights without power supply? The Goa University would
complete 20 years of it’s existence on June 30. I would not be surprised
if we spend that day without power in the campus. Students may be happy
if classes are cancelled. Teachers would be free to purchase candles.
Research would grind to a halt and everyone would suffer timely and
silently somehow expecting that things would improve automatically.
Perhaps they will if our power supply comes from a corrosion proof VIP
feeder.