Accordingly with the Portuguese dictionary from Porto Editora (2001),
damanense is, I quote: “adjectivo 2 generos - referente a Damao, territorio
do antigo Estado Portugues da India; substantivo 2 generos - natural ou
habitante de Damao; (De Damao, top. + -ense)” and diuense is, I quote again
“adjectivo 2 generos - referente a Diu, provincia do antigo Estado Portugues
da India; substantivo 2 generos - natural ou habitante de Diu; (De Diu
+ -ense).
The Portuguese/English and English/Portuguese dictionary from Porto Editora
(2001) doesn´t give any translation of these two words.
The Oxford Talking Dictionary (1998) has an entry on this issue. I quote
“Daman and Diu /dmn, diu/ a Union Territory in India, on the west coast
north of Bombay; pop. (1991) 101,400; capital, Daman. It consists of the
district of Daman and the island of Diu, and until 1987 was administered
with Goa”. Nothing is said about how the people from these places are
called.
What the Portuguese dictionary says is that a “damanense” can be an
adjective describing whatever refers to Daman (Damao) or a noun referring to
the inhabitants of that place. The same logic is followed to “diuense”.
Since I’m Portuguese and I do not know enough English I can not give Cecil
further help.
Mafalda Mascarenhas