HEART 2 HEART - JULY 17, Herald
BY ETHEL DA COSTA

100 crores, or no show?

Dear Mr Pratapsing Rane,

Good to see you crack the whip, though I understand the hot plate is heating up with too many trying to short fuse your circuits. But shrewd as you are, its time to hold to your horses, keep the stable in check and let the credits roll. But first, what's your deal behind the 100 crore bid for supari? A new hold-the-state-to-ransom attempt for attention? What's your MLAs cut from the booty? How much are they pitching their worth for this gold pot? What exactly do you intend to do with these monies in your kitty? Are you, like the Saffron brigade, planning to take Goa for a ride again?

A representative of the State is answerable to his people. So, are you going to build more bridges that are destined to collapse? Are you going to fly down jaded celebs and item girls, with nil international cinema presence, to make us watch their starry tantrums as they binge at our cost (while our politicians leach and grope) at the song and dance parties hosted at five-star hotels? Are you planning more Page 3 cocktail dramas on the Mandovi, Zuari and Aldona bridges to outdo Parrikar? When the traffic system breaks down for hours on end and no one gives a damn the inconveniences caused to the public, will your starry-eyed babus deploy ferries from Panjim to Betim, Brittona to Sinquerim, Cortalim to Dona Paula to tow screaming pedestrians and commuters to their offices and homes? Or, will you tell us, like Parrikar, that you do not wish to talk to us because we are not intelligent! Sure, Nirmala Sawant would happily build more ferries for you if you generously give her five crores. That would take care of the traffic jams. With out of town cockeyed event managers hired from Mumbai, Goa could host a Mardi Gras along the streets of Campal, drag queen parties at the Francisco Luis Gomes and Ambedkar gardens, Spanish bullfights at the Nehru Stadium and Panjim Cricket Club (with a little help from the Spanish charters and Goa's own burly matador, Mickky Pacheco), and Bollywood stunt designers to conceptualise mock gunfights along Miramar and Dona Paula, so people stay indoors when electricity cuts drench the city in total darkness. Oh, and don't you forget to give the schools in Goa an early Christmas break since parents (along with govt officers) would want to flock to the beaches to watch free movies.

Make no mistake Mr Rane, I endorse the film festival. I am completely supportive of the event. But, we not going to endorse, tolerate, support and turn a blind eye to acts of bad planning, arrogance, chaos, lack of logistics and back up plans when a government in power breaks, violates, throws to the wind, laws, rules and common sense under the excuse of a film festival. There will be no more violation of environmental laws, cutting of trees, pulling down heritage properties, building of bridges that sink. No more ridiculing the concerned voices of citizens who are today left to bear and suffer flooded streets, choked drains, sinking roads.

The common man will not be held to ransom. Let's get this straight and clear right now.

Yes, Goa needs the International Film Festival of India. Let's wake up and smell the coffee, because this is reality. Goa needs IFFI to consolidate her identity in the international and national tourism market by promoting quality event driven tourism. Goa has the pre-requisites to make her an ideal resort destination. We have to capitalize on these assets and make it work for us. Goa needs IFFI to help bring about an upgradation in the quality of infrastructure by attracting quality tourists and professionals to boost economic growth. This in turn will uplift the quality of services offered to the common man. Goa needs a goal driven, vision oriented government to consolidate long term plans to re-position the State with state-of-the-art facilities. We must work towards NRI investments. IFFI is a wonderful opportunity towards getting to this goal, which can be wisely used to direct development for the benefit of the State and her people. Goa needs a 'Think Tank' of experts and professionals to plan these goals. They need to identify areas that need to be strengthened. Goa needs to take stock of her unemployment issues by generating employment opportunities in realistic terms. Goa needs an IFFI to help draw upon the abundance of talent in music, art and dance by creating platforms to represent the true culture of the State to the world. Goa needs an IFFI to help consolidate capital in order to upgrade her public services in health, education, water and electricity that percolates down to the common man. Goa needs IFFI to attract foreign, local and national big bucks which will happen only when the government takes stock of current needs to develop future growth plans for a State. All this with direction and proper planning.

You will agree with the people of Goa that we do not need a repeat of last year's IFFI tamasha. A film festival is not about street fairs and musical circuses. It is about movies and the business of movie making. It is about packaging and showcasing the talents of the State to the world. So, let's get serious and start planning the show in earnest. NOW. Let's start by strengthening current infrastructure that works, instead of patchwork jobs on creating new shoddy infrastructure that collapses. Let's get the government to draw plans in ensuring that the common man is not held to ransom stuck in traffic jams, tolerating electricity cuts and sound pollution. Invite local talent to participate with ideas. Draw an invitee list of celebrities and stars Goa would be proud to host for their contribution to international cinema. Market the film festival internationally to attract world class film-makers (and travelers) who will look at Goa as an ideal destination to holiday and make world-class movies. Goa does not need cheap tourists. Goa does not need sex tourism currently flourishing around the coastal belts. Goa needs a touch of class and a balance of glamour, to position the State as the 'Cannes of the East.' Market her lifestyle through cuisine, wine, music, art, fashion, craft, sports and hospitality. We urge you to draw upon her assets by drawing inspiration from her history and her peoples. Without biases of caste or creed, religion or favour, take the people of Goa into confidence. Listen to their voices, seek their opinion, and make them truly participative of progress that will take the State smoothly into the 21st century. If you achieve this, you would truly have set a benchmark.

So, will you let us know what you want to do with the 100 crores? Time to practice what you preach, mate.

====