Father Anthony da Silva To Head Jesuits In Goa Province

By Joseph Coelho, SAR News

PUNE, Maharashtra (SAR NEWS) -- Jesuit Father Anthony da Silva has been
appointed Provincial for the 140-odd Jesuits of the Goa Province, July
28.

SAR News spoke to Father da Silva on the issues confronting the Jesuits
in Goa and their role in nation-building. Excerpts:

SAR: What are the issues the Jesuits in Goa are grappling with?

Father da Silva: I feel the Goa province is now poised for expansion and
growth in various areas like higher education and research, social
ministry and pastoral work. We have excellent manpower, thanks to the
hard work of my predecessors. Of the 140-odd Jesuits in the province,
more than half are in training, with very high potential. The province
is grappling with issues like how better to serve the poor migrant
labourers who come from the neighbouring states to Goa; how to be more
pastorally involved in rural Goa; how to revive our well established
pastoral ministries and how to improve our secondary and higher
educational facilities so that they prepare our students for the new and
emerging India.

SAR: How do you view the Goa Province in relation to the South Asian
Jesuit context?

Father da Silva: Since Goa is the first Jesuit province in Asia and St.
Francis Xavier its first Provincial, there is a natural historical claim
to uniqueness in Asia. This also means that responsibility to offer the
Jesuits of Asia an opportunity to rediscover their Jesuit roots and
reclaim their Asian Jesuit heritage. We hope our various centres in Goa
like the Arrupe Jesuit Training Centre in Raia, the Xavier Centre of
Historical Research, the Konkanni Kendra, the Bom Jesus Basilica will be
able to assist in this quest. The present Arrupe Jesuit Training Centre
(Tertianship) offers an entry point for Asian Jesuits to connect with
the Society’s foundations in Asia.

SAR: How do you see the Goa Province in the State of Goa today?

Father da Silva: One must bear in mind that Goa is among the smallest
States in the Indian Union. However, it has a large concentration of
Catholics within its borders (roughly 30%). It has an extremely
well-established Catholic school network and parish communities. High
literacy and high economic well-being are indicators of the strength of
the State.

Unfortunately, Goa has become mired in political instability and
deep-rooted corruption. It is here that I see some role for the Church
and the Jesuits to act as “leaven in the dough,” a catalyst bringing
growth. Public life needs to be influenced with Gospel and societal
values that serve the people better. The Jesuits through their
intellectual apostolate in schools and research centres seem better
poised to enter into the mainstream of public life in Goa and positively
influence its culture.

[Born of Goan parents in Uganda, Africa, in 1945, Father da Silva did
his Philosophy in Munich, Germany, and Theology in Pune. He obtained
first rank in M.A. Psychology from Pune University and completed his
doctorate in psychology with distinction from the University of
Michigan, USA.

Father da Silva had been the Coordinator for Formation and Consultor
of the undivided Goa-Pune Province. He has been teaching at Jnana-Deepa
Vidyapeeth, Pontifical Institute of Philosophy and Religion, Pune, for
the past 22 years and was its Rector from 1993-1999. He is also a
visiting professor at the University of Pune.

His areas of study and research include psychology of religion, religion
and social psychology of violence, and psychology of peace and
reconciliation in societal conflicts.

The Goa Province, separated from Goa-Pune Province in 1993,
geographically comprises the State of Goa, Belgaum district of
Karnataka, and Ratnagiri and Kolhapur districts of Maharashtra.]