Dear Sonia,

In keeping with our promise not to be banal, we had a simple function today
at the Goa University where the Chief General Manager of State Bank of
India, Mr.Rameshkumar planted a kokum graft, before handing over a cheque of
Rs.2.00 lakhs to Dr.Ajit Shirodkar, Chairman of WGKF in the presence of the
Vice-Chancellor of Goa Univeristy Prof.Zacarias. The cheque is the first
instalment of the SBI commitment of Rs.10.00 lakhs for the part of the
BIODIVERSITY PLANTATION that will simply be called the SBI FRUIT TREE PARK.
[Reported in the local newspapers on 22 and 23 August,2005]. The temporary
banners used for the function are all taken away. The plants
remain, the banners do not. We are evolving an advertising code with the
participation of the collaborating agencies.

In fact, this patch of greenery was created with a SBI fund way back in the
early 1990s but had fallen into neglect. To avoid recurrence of such a thing
WGKF has signed a five year Memorandum of Understanding with Goa Univeristy
to plant and maintain the trees. The name SBI PARK gives the SBI a sense of
ownership[ not over the property but the concept] over the trees there in.
The CGM assured that the SBI will look beyond the present commitment in
terms of time and money. the Vice Chancellor felt encouraged to say that he
was looking for the association of the WGKF to go beyond the five years
committed almost as a stake before the cards were open on the table. The
WGKF had never undertaken such a project before. As the VC put it succintly,
" The enthusiasm of two elderly men has become infectious." Mr. P.G.Kakodkar
is 69 years young.Dr. Ajit Shirodkar is similarly aged. Their enthusiasm in
creating the Biodiversity Park and raising fund for it can best be compared
to that of a teen-aged boy going on his first date: Nothing but the very
best will do! There are always ways to raise money for something that one is
all excited about.

The local branch manager of SBI, Ms.Elsa Vernekar has obtained permission
and funds to beautify another traffic island. She is also the custodian of
the funds being raised under the "WGKF-A/c Support Goa University" to
improve other infrastructure in the Goa University. Mr.P.G. Kakodkar has
appealed to each household in Goa to contribute Rs.101/- to this fund. With
4.5 lakh households  in Goa, this will yield Rs.4.5 crores. It is enough if
25% of the households[ less than 10% of the population] contribute this year
to reach the target of Rs.1.0 crores. The Diamond Group of tabloids has
committed to advertise the cause and the SWIFT account number free till the
fundraising  target of Rs.1.0 crore is achieved.

On Monday, 29 August,2005, the Chief Minister will dedicate to the people of
Goa, the SESA GOA GREEN BELT between the Goa University Library Complex and
the Vice-Chancellor's Office, inclusive of two traffic islands. This
segment of the Biodiversity Plantation will have shade trees,  flowering
shrubs, ramblers and creepers with colourful and fragrant flowers to create
an ambience in which one would love to read a book...with pleasure. Sesa Goa
Group is also participating in reviving the block of legume trees that was
begun in 1991. The Chief conservator of Forests, Mr.A.K.Wahal, the Chairman
of Biodiversity Board, Dr.Heman Y.Karapurkar, the Director of Science,
Technology and Environment, Dr.N.P.S.Varde are expected to be present on the
occasion.

The BIODIVERSITY PARK  has no SPONSORS. It rather has people, agencies and
companies that are committing themselves to a cause. This barren patch of
the plateau [ which was wooded/forested in the 1960s as per aerial
photographs with Dr.S.G.Torne, the first Head of Botany Dept. at Goa
Univeristy and the Ph.D guide of at least one Reader at Goa University and
one Asst.Conservator of Forests in Goa] which Dr.Padmakar R. Dubhashi [ the
second Vice-Chancellor-1990-94 of Goa University] had begun to re-vegetate
will one day be a green oasis amidst an urban jungle. Participate in this
great romance...and you will have yourself to thank for it !!! Cash is not
the only thing that is needed. Even a word of encouragement helps. It helps
change attitudes.

Viva Goa.
Miguel

>> From: Sonia Vaze <goanet@goanet.org>
> Subject: [Goanet]Re: WGKF - Support Goa University
> Miguel wrote :
>
> >Advertising has evolved. The understatement is in, the flaunting on
> >large hoardings is passe.
>
> >When you see the trees and enjoy the sight,smells,shade and fruits just
> >bless the ones that thought of the trees before they thought of what they
> >will get out of it. That will be their/our reward.
>
> Dear Miguel,
> Advertising has evolved but mentalities of advertisers/companies has still
a long way to go. The huge advertisement hoardings all along the National
> Highway e.g. Porvorim-Mapusa, Panaji-Margao etc. is testimony to this.
I see huge  nauseating hoardings that are nothing but an eysore.
 God bless you and others who are involved with planting more trees in