PLASTIC POLUTION & HAZZARDS.

Goa: Anti-plastic rally held in Quepem.

On April 10th 2005 “HERALD” Goan Daily published the following: “The students and teachers of Holy Cross High School held a rally at Quepem to create awareness on problems of plastic and the importance of reprocessing it. The rally was flagged off by school Principal Dr. Uday Gaonkar and was guided by Physical Education teacher Anant Narvekar. Other teachers guided their respective groups. The rally started from the school, made its way to Quepem Health Center, Quepem market and Quepem Police Station, before concluding at the school”.

On reading the above I was thrilled because I hail from Quepem and I like to say a few words concerning the above captioned subject, but before that I would like to mention that this is not the first time such rally’s have been conducted by Holy Cross HS students, I have been a student of this school for a short while and have participated in student rally’s such as “Bus fare for students, Opposing transport facilities plying Quepem route, and blocking roads for not picking students due to which they used to miss first 2 periods, the student leaders who were actively involved were Basker Naik from Rivona, Quepem, who recently was the Principal of Govt. College at Xeldem, Quepem, Mr. Pradeep Shirvaikar, a Lawyer but is a Senior teacher at HCHS, Pramod Desai, Ghurudas Dalal, Bale Sarojini Madhav who stood 5th in all Goa back in the 70’s, Kalindi Kunkolekar Senior teacher at HCHS, Manuel Colaco Ex. President of Quepem Municipality, etc.. the list is endless…. All of them were fearsome debaters and public speakers.

As far as I know there are many ex. students from this school even here in Kuwait, also recently Mr. Suhas Dalal from Quepem was honoured with “Pratibha Prakashan” for editing “Mahaa Komkann Sudarshan” (in Konkani) “Samyukta Goem Zaalemnaa Zaalyaar Komknni Lok Shennttalo” was also a student of Holy Cross HS.

We have indeed come a long way from the ancient and primitive ages to the modern day world. During this long span of more than 2 million years, man’s life has been through several drastic and fundamental changes, but one of the most difficult challenges that it faces even today is the menace of environmental degradation that has been posed by mankind to a large extent by polluting it over the ages. From the very inception of the Industrial Revolution of the 17th Century, man has been constantly interacting with the natural environment and destroying it to a large extent.

In today’s modern era of Science and Technology Plastics have become one of the most widely used products all over the globe. The Credit for this invention goes to the famous scientist Dr. Alexander Parkes who had invented the first synthetic plastic i.e. celluloid way back in 1856.. Since then the number as well as the types and qualities have greatly increased, producing superior materials such as epoxies, polycarbonates, Teflon, silicones and polysulfones. The bonding properties and chemical versatility of carbon account for the great number of plastics, though we have been successful in creating such varieties, in the process we have adversely affected the global eco-system as a whole. Today plastics have created such a menace in many places that it has led to the proliferation in the spread of Cancer by the production of deadly carcinogenic compounds.. Thus the best alternative to plastics would be the use of biodegradable and naturally occurring products.

Whatever it was it almost certainly came in a wrapper or a package that you ripped off straight away and put it in the bin! Having done its job the packaging became totally useless immediately.. Hmmm, if only it could just evaporate… Do you know that we now use over 3.2 Million Tones of plastic and cardboard a year for packaging which is twice what we used 10 years ago, you may not give it another thought but it takes nature years or even centuries to deal with all our old rubbish!

How long it takes nature to break down and recycle an object? It depends on what it’s made of and what’s able to pull it a part. Oxygen in the air and Sunlight can help decompose many materials.. Meanwhile, living things like bacteria, moulds and fungi regard some types of rubbish as a square meal and will happily munch their way through them, this is known as biodegradable waste. But this takes a lot longer than your average lunch break. Orange peel can take between 6 months and 2 years to decay, while an aluminium soft drinks Can takes 50 to 100 years… But the real everlasting, undestructive and never decaying substance is PLASTIC.

Plastics are a particular pain, though undeniably useful of course in many ways, this is because their molecules are tightly bound together and are very very hard to prise apart, because plastic is a relatively new material, only around in the last century, no micro-organisms have yet evolved that are able to digest it, today in India every household in cities alone use approximately 200 plastics bags per year but each and every one will take 10 to 20 years to decay. Studier plastic items like plastic bottles, will take hundreds of years, if not thousands…no one knows yet.

Although we throw away less plastic than other materials it’s the one environmentalists worry most about because it lasts so very long, Plastic may take ages to decay on land, but it takes even longer in water, and not only do plastics hang about in the sea but become a danger for marine mammals and birds as well. Marine conservationists estimate that over one million birds and 100,000 sea mammals die each year after becoming entangled in plastic nets and ropes, or eating plastic items which get stuck inside them.

Since the days of ancient Phoenician mariners, sea goers have been dumping their thrash at sea, back in those days the oceans could easily handle the waste, but today, both the nature and quality of trash have changed. Today, what gets tossed overboard can have a deadly impact on marine life and cause problems for others boaters.

Plastic, the wonder material that we use for everything is perhaps the most harmful of this thrash because it does not readily break down in nature. In fact, the plastic that goes over the side today may still be around in hundreds of years to foul up the fishing gear, boat propellers, and beaches of future generations, not to mention what it will do to countless generations of marine life and sea birds that eat it or get tangled up in it. Everyday more and more plastic is accumulating in our oceans. Recreational boaters are not the only group that improperly disposes of plastic refuse at sea, plastic also enters the marine environment from sewage outfalls, merchant shipping, commercial fishing operations and beachgoers.

Water pollution is also mainly caused due to insanitation, unhygienic disposal of sewage into water bodies, oil spills and also due to eutrophication. One of the worst catastrophes in recent times due to oil spill was during the Gulf War of 1991 between Iraq and Kuwait. Although the intervention of the United Nations later helped in putting an end to the war by the defeat of Iraq, the destruction of the oil reservoirs of Kuwait during the war killed thousands of aquatic lives due to the pollution caused by the leakage of the fuel. According to estimates, the leaked oil was abundant of fulfilling all petroleum needs of the world for 15 days.

Some time back “The Education Board” of Goa had held a seminar in Panjim concerning POLLUTION, and the surrounding schools had sent selected students to attend this seminar, after the seminar these attending students were asked to write regarding this problems, here below I’ll write in short the contribution of students from different schools in Goa:-

1. Salma Buddaseth. Rosary HS. Miramar:- Pollution seems to be found everywhere these days. Our Locality is certainly not an exception. I live in Tonca, Caranzalem, a coastal town not far from our capital. It is very close to the Miramar beach. We face garbage problem, Municipal sewage problem, which indirectly causes water pollution, air pollution due to exhaust fumes given off by vehicles that also cause noise pollution and the bad effects caused by petroleum hydrocarbons like CFCs (chlorofluorocarbons). Etc. etc….

There are plenty of laws to take care of pollution. The only problem is none of them are being implemented. Therefore, the only way to curb pollution is by creating awareness amongst the masses. Together we can rid our localities off pollution.

The other students who contributed in this seminar are as follows:-

2.      Molbey Devassy. Rosary HS. Miramar.
3.      Binitha Pillai. Rosary HS. Miramar.
4.      Raina Gaitonde. Rosary HS. Miramar.
5.      Sanyogeeta Hiraji Andhale. P. V. Dempo H. Sec. S. Miramar.
6.      Dielle D’Souza. Rosary HS. Miramar.
7.      Mitali Ashok Priolkas. Rosary HS. Miramar.
8.      Bharat R. Chavan.  P. V. Dempo H. Sec. S. Miramar.
9.      Kotha Vamshi Krishna. P. V. Dempo H. Sec. S. Miramar.
10.     S. Vineetha. Rosary HS. Miramar.
11.     Sadaf Anwar Sheikh. Rosary HS. Miramar.
12.     Monica Prakash Pawar. P. V. Dempo H. Sec. S. Miramar.
13.     Noorjahan Khan Patel. Rosary HS. Miramar.
14.     Lizbeth Pires. Our Lady of Rosary HS. Dona Paula.
15.     Blanca Viegas. P. V. Dempo H. Sec. S. Miramar.
16.     Samina Khan. Rosary HS. Miramar.
17.     Ashutosh Ajit Mhapne. Rosary HS. Miramar.
18.     Nikhil Heremath. Rosary HS. Miramar.
19.     Tricia Pereira. Rosary HS. Miramar.
20.     Nazma Khan. Rosary HS. Miramar.
21.     Heeral Dand. Rosary HS. Miramar.
22.     Viral J. Pitroda. Rosary HS. Miramar.
23.     Shweta Ranade. P. V. Dempo H. Sec. S. Miramar.
24.     Melicia Fernandes. Our Lady of Rosary HS. Dona Paula.
And many more………………

Do you have any idea where all those millions of tones of rubbish goes?
Well, most of it gets carted off to landfill sites, which gets rid of the problem but is rather like sweeping dust under a carpet and hoping it doesn’t come back to haunt us. Huge holes are dug in the ground and filled with compacted rubbish, then a layer of landscaping is put over the top. Would you do this in your back yard? When the hole is full a new site must be found, as we are on a small island and have a large population, we will eventually run out of space to hide our waste. On the other hand be aware that away from sunlight and oxygen, even totally organic objects take a really long time to decay. In fact they tend to mummify rather than break down. Just think over, if organic waste won’t break landfill site what hope is there that metals and plastics will.

Over the past few years, an extensive effort has been made by scientists all around the globe in replacing non-biodegradable plastics with the biodegradable ones. In this connection many professors and physicists like Indian born Prof. Mrinal Bhattacharya of the University of Minnesota in the US are using proteins from cereal grains along with plant starch and degradable synthetic polymer to make this kind of plastic. Starch based plastic act as a reacted blend of starch and synthetic polymer. It is renewable agricultural product and the use of this product will reduce the world’s dependence on oil – a non-renewable resource. Besides, they are recyclable and biodegradable thus reducing the environmental impact.

The recent invention of fiber extracted from feathers has shown significant results. It can replace more expensive plastic and fiberglass. The feather fiber is more absorbent than wood fibers. More importantly, it comes from any bird and commercial chickens.

Surely in the new millennium, we will continue to produce new and innovative environmentally friendly products that will enable the world nations and its citizens to be eco-conscious. Remember scientists are helping to solve the problem, and Governments are on the case, but best of all there are things you can do to make this world a better place to live in.

Wishing everyone a better health.

Sanny Vaz – Kuwait.
Sanny De Quepem.