> [Goanet] Prakriti'05 - A Film Festival on Environment, Wildlife, Human
> Rights in Goa on NOW!
> Clinton Vaz klintvaz at gmx.net
> Mon Sep 19 11:44:55 PDT 2005

> This afternoon I received a short sms from my brother Hansel 'Hey, do
> check out the env. Film fest at Goa Int. Centre'. Making me curious, I
> called up Fred, a friend who is associated with a lot of associations
> and usually is in the know of a lot of my type of 'happening' events.
> Unfortunately, he didn't know of it, but also informed me that the Goa
> Science Centre was also screening their own set of films.

Clinton, Thanks for your note! If I'm (sometimes) in the know, it's
because of people like you who tip me off. Haven't you heard that
self-confessed motto of journos like myself: you tell, we listen; we
write, you read (and pay for it while doing so!)

More seriously, it's a pity that such a festival with diverse films was
so poorly announced.

After you phoned this afternoon, I noticed an announcement tucked away
in a corner of an inside page of the Gomantak Times. Pity that the
larger papers didn't seem it fit to offer pre-event publicity.

Many organisers of events in Goa complain that the poor coverage they
get further depresses the success of their event in a small state.

Perhaps the organisers are to blame also, for making their announcement
last minute? A lot of public money is spent on such events... and it is
essential that maximum returns come in by way of letting the most
numbers of potential viewers know about the event *before* the event.

Incidentally, late evening, as you typed, I got a copy from film-makers
Anjali Monteiro and her husband Sasi, whose film Naata is being
screened on Tuesday. (Anjali is the daughter of late Brig Inocencio
Monteiro, of Loutolim, as Alfred Tavares would point out. Her sister is
the Goa-based Dr Nandita De Souza.)

If you want to have a look at the synopsis of many of the films being
screened, check
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/docuwallahs2/message/638

Again, many thanks for taking the trouble to keep us informed! FN
Frederick 'FN' Noronha  | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | Goa, India
Independent Journalist  | http://fn.swiki.net  | +91(832)2409490
Indian documentary film blog: http://indiadocu.blogspot.com/