In the O Heraldo
=================

Dr.  Ferdinando Falcão, Margão
Goa was once upon a time a blessed place, with people
living peacefully and harmoniously, everyone was
happy, no apprehensions of crime, plenty of clean
drinking water, plenty of local food, nobody went
hungry; and people could make a living. Goa is now on
the verge of total destruction with misgovernment for
the past three or four decades. We have no one to
blame, but the majority of ourselves as we have
elected the people who govern our land. In the name of
development, any projects are started. Basically these
projects are not for the benefit of the Goans, but for
selfish interests. And Goans being gullible swallow
any nonsense fed to them. Presently, after all these
decades of development, Goans cannot make ends meet,
no job opportunities, no security of their lives and
belongings. Are not the basic needs that need to be
tackled first?

Our successive governments have started projects
without going into the full implications of such
projects, and who are the sufferers are the Goans
themselves. Take the example of the Konkan Railway
project; ever since it started it has become a
nightmare for the Police Department, with murders,
burglaries, thefts ever on the increase. The increase
in road area in Goa reaching everyone’s doorstep has
given rise to increase numbers of vehicles that has
led to several deaths and crippling. Development
always comes with its disadvantages, and it is this,
that we need to combat first.

In Goa, for the moment we do not need further
development like an international airport at Mopa.
Tourism cannot be boosted by adding an airport, but by
providing basic facilities and security to tourists
which is lacking. Our basic needs need to be tackled
by upgrading the police force and forensic technology
so that the police have an upper hand on criminals.

We need to force our government to enact laws that
entitles at least 80 per cent of the jobs in Goa to
the Goans; and any establishment not adhering to these
norms need be penalised. We need not destroy Goa to
give jobs for outsiders.

And for the people of Pernem, let me tell you of the
things you will face if the airport materialises at
Mopa. Many of the construction workers will linger on,
and slums will develop. Criminal activities will be on
the rise. Concrete jungles will grow and with virgin
soil covered with all these artificial structures,
water absorption area will decrease creating water
scarcity. Farmers will be dispossessed, and will have
to seek employment. Pernem will be a city, life will
be expensive; electricity, telephone, water tariffs
will shoot up. Air, noise and garbage pollution will
increase. Goa will then be made a second Bombay.

B. Colaço